Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: 5 Yr. Stroke Update

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    It has been 5 years since I had a pretty serious stroke. I have been providing annual updates which may assist others.
    I feel like I have reached the end of my improvement which leaves me around 60+% normal functionality. I continue to walk about 45 min. daily (with someone by my side) and go to the gym 5 times a week but my balance is still a problem and my right side remains partially paralyzed. The atrophy in my right leg and arm ( I am - was right handed) has wasted away much of the muscle required to walk normal and use my right hand. Still, everything else seems to be working so I can’t complain. I have to take meds for the rest of my life and I watch what I eat and drink. My advice to others is get a blood test and check your blood pressure. A stroke is catastrophic and changes your life forever. And if do survive a stroke, do not give up, life is still good,

• Like Like x 20
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Good day PatO! And Semper Fi....I've been following your life in Dumaguete since you were a newbie....I read your adventures settling in..learned heaps about life in Dumagete/Negros..and kept with it thru your health issue....Pure respect mate....Not just for your own personal challenges....But your candid posts.....across - what is it?...A decade or maybe more...? I have been following this and other forums ( but this is my favourite by far)....And it is looking like we will be making the move to Bacolod fairly soon....I had some health issues myself but with the right treatments and doctors....It is looking up....I feel much better and my wife is of course eager to return to her homeland - originally from La Carlota. I think I have a decade or two in me to enjoy the amazing large lot we have in a secure Talisay subdivision....which would be wonderful...but also enable us to explore, Negros, the Philippines, and the world....courtesy of only being 3km from the 'new' Bacolod Airport. Bloody oath I will visit....You have been a stalwart, level-headed contributor and I salute you for not being too enthralled - but giving very honest and informative posts. Cheers....and Semper Fi......

Hang in their mate....I am looking forward to knocking on your front door and teaching you how to drink beer.....

• Like Like x 6
  3. k.t.ballin11

k.t.ballin11 DI New Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Very well done you! I appreciate your update and glad to read the positive improvements.

• Like Like x 6
  4. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Well done Pat, you know you are my hero with your great attitude and determination. Many admire you......

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I forgot to mention. My neurologist is Dr. Dipatado, Silliman.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    [QUOTE="

Hang in their mate....I am looking forward to knocking on your front door and teaching you how to drink beer.....[/QUOTE]
    Good to hear from you mate, been a long time. Glad you recovered from your ailments. Looking forward to having a cold refreshment with you and your wife.

• Like Like x 2