Dumaguete Info Search

Review Best Posts in Thread: LATINO RESTAURANT- THIS IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Tried this place tonight. We had the seafood and chicken paella, 4 cheese macaroni and 1 liter of the "Dutertian" Sangria, with a desert, tiramisu, being brought out by the owner. Everything was excellent and the service was top notch.

I really liked that the menu has how many grams of meat/poultry/seafood each dish has in it. Makes tracking my calories/macros much easier and not compete guesswork. I will definitely return.

As for the door issue mentioned in an earlier post: not really an issue. When I rang the doorbell the door opened within a few seconds each time. After I finished eating my fingerprint was added to the biometrics so I won't have to ring the bell again to get in.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    First time at Latino, it opened already a while ago. Mostly Spanish and Italian food and also some Asian style, always sounds good. Located at the National south road in Dumaguete, just a door in the wall from outside, but when we went inside we were really positively surprised. Very nice ambience, decorative items everywhere, chinese style red balloon lamps makes it a cozy place to stay. The food was simply great, asawa had Spaghetti Carbonara with ribs and was very happy, couldn't finish the huge portion, take-out was no problem. My Thai chicken with peanuts and veggies was also great. Short waiting time for serving about 20 minutes, perfect. We got each a complimentary Sangria home made style, I do not drink that stuff normally, but this was nice because it was not too sweet. All that fresh cooked food ended with a very reasonable, not to say cheap bill. A really satisfying dining experience, unexpected. Had a talk with the owner, a nice guy from Barcelona in Spain, he is obviously running his spot with passion. Conclusion: After the Spanish colonized the Philippines for about 400 years, they are back; but for much better purposes :-)

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    To me, Inhouse Security is preferable than an untrained/Badly trained Mickey mouse armed guard outside :pompus:

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Bruce

Bruce DI Member Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +172 / 10
    Blood Type:
    O+
    We enjoyed our evening there last night. As a previous poster mentioned very surprised once door opened to see the amazing decor and red colours, certainly different.
    The Spanish owner was very open an attentive, he was often at table clearing plates away an chatting. Very nice guy.
    Beware the portions are enormous, biggest experienced, after we shared a starter both of us were full. We did partake in a main how ever left totally full. Owner treated us to a coffee an a Spanish snaps before leaving.
    One thing to note is the emphasis is definitely on karaoke which may not suit everyone, as soon as 8pm came he gave my partner a song book an encouraged her to sing. We are not into this but many could well be.
    It was very quiet, we had the large resto pretty much alone.
    Quality of food was fresh an good, for our tastes would of preferred it spiced up, still this could be Spanish style, you will not leave hungry.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I took the wife there tonight, (Her birthday). On the advise of other posters, I ordered the Spaghetti Carbonara with ribs.
    I am a fan of Spaghetti Carbonara. This Spaghetti Carbonara with ribs has to be the best I have ever tried. The birthday girl had Spaghetti and salmon pizza. She reported it being very good.
    I found the bill to be quite reasonable and there is no doubt we will be back.
    Two thumbs up for this Restaurant.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    It is the old taco place on the ocean side of the road right before Gigi’s ( on theother side of the road)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Outside door, inside door, locked or unlocked I can live with that as it has nothing to do with the quality of food being served. Only one word for that excellent, not to forget the warm welcome by the owner itself and the way he appreciates your renewed visit as customer rather than in 99,9% of all other restaurants in the Dumaguete area where you are just a number. Complaining about a locked door, well better visit a place where, when you have diner being disturbed by so called poor people begging and the like of this. One block away they enjoy an ice cream or open a bottle of Tanduay to celebrate the good harvest.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bruce

Bruce DI Member Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +172 / 10
    Blood Type:
    O+

I personally find the above post quite puzzling. We all had this entrance experience how ever to state it as off putting surprises me.

We did not even find it to be a minor irritant. It's a great place with massive food portions plus appealing decor an friendly owner.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Buckeroo

Buckeroo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Latinos owner is well experienced in what he prepares and he pasta dishes are outstanding! The pasta Carbonara is very good and large(good for 2). The paella is very good also. But I would stick to the seafood paella. It is better than the pork. I sincerely hope this guy makes it!!!

Sent from my JDN2-L09 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. JayBee

JayBee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I agree with the posters above, it was a great first experience going there a couple weeks ago, will go back with friends for sure. The Chef/owner was very hospitable and his food was excellent. Good idea for him to # all the items on the menu like a fast-service resto would, as his waitress, at least the ones we had that night, were not too fluent. I guess once he is settled in more he will add a dessert menu, as what is on there right now I don't think will do too well. It's in my top 5 in Duma now for food quality for sure, happy to see it open.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1