Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: I am never giving up my Windows 7

1. AndyG

AndyG DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Web developer
    Ratings:
    +124 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You didn't start this thread for flak or nonsense and I won't give you any.
    I too was a die hard Win 7 user and very unhappy about moving onto Win10 but most motherboard manufacturers have stopped making hardware drivers compatible with Windows 7. Luckily you have a Dell which is one of the last remaining brands providing work-arounds to install Win7 on their hardware - here and here.
    Like it or not you will eventually be left with the choice of writing your own drivers or changing your operating system.
    Until then you'll likely be stuck on the same hardware with your browser and other software continuing to grow the resources they require making your system slower and less stable. Who knows, that might work for you or maybe you halt all updates to maintain your system in it's current state, if so good for you.
    For anyone considering a move to Win10, here's my advice.
    I've been on 10 now for about 4 months, it's annoying at times but if you turn all the "helpful" features off it's considerably better than Win7. During the installation of Win10 don't link a Microsoft account unless you want your activities tracked, and disable anything you're not familiar with in the installer. Next go to Remove programs and remove all the bloatware like Candy crush and Xbox. Some annoyingly can't be removed but they are not intrusive or collecting data.
    Windows Search has always been crap but in Win10 it's useless, I recommend disabling the search indexing service and installing Locate32. Task manager is wank too so I recommend Process Hacker. Once that's done you'll have a system that you can't find anything in but if you hit the windows key and start typing what you want you'll get the hang of where stuff is.
    Change is inevitable and "never" is eternity - the two are not compatible.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I was an engineer in “the belly of the beast” in the industry at the time with China’s largest PC company and familiar with our management discussions with MS windows upon which we were completely dependent. In terms of hardware, I think Win 8 was a very positive development for Apple but a loser for MS customers (mfrs) who lost significant share to Apple. Their Apple OS became preferable to a significant market share even though Windows customers Lenovo, Dell and HP etc. had superior hardware; customers became more concerned about user friendly software than hardware after Win 8 came out. MS was still able to retain a major market share due to sheer momentum but they lost a lot of business as their hardware customers did. MS had done the same thing to IBM in the late 80’s with MS windows running more user friendly on 8086 processors than IBM’s OS2 ran on the much better 80386 which was required for running multiple programs at the same time. Consumers didn’t care, Windows was easy to use even if it ran only one program at a time. Everyone wanted Windows. IBM had to ultimately give up OS2 and ship windows. MS disrupted the market and disruption is good for the consumer. But the MS disrupters later got disrupted by Apple. Both MS and IBM survived but they both felt a lot of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    One of the best computer writers ever, David Pogue of the NYT, wrote in 2012: https://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/things-that-were-once-amazing

His points, in summary, are:
    1. Kids Adapt to New Technologies Faster.
    2. Consumer Technology Turns Over Quickly. Please don’t make a big thing about how the gadget you bought only a few months ago is already obsolete.
    3. Operating Systems Turn Over, Too. Every week, some unhappy reader e-mails me to complain that Apple or Microsoft or Google has updated Software Product X, and that therefore his or her four-year-old Product Y no longer works.....But this, too, is part of the game you’ve signed up to play. You can either remain frozen in time with your older computer/operating system/software combo, or you can upgrade and go with the flow.
    4. Printer Ink Is Expensive. “I spend more on inkjet cartridges every year than I spent on the printer itself!!”
    5. The License Agreements Are Overreaching.

The only thing I can add is that new printers here, from Japan, now use ink tanks which is about $15 USD for 6000 pages, we're still on our first tanks 3 years later...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I felt the same as you originally. Anything new and different is difficult at first due to the learning curve. I don't miss Win7 at all. There are pros and cons to each, but from a getting the job done standpoint, both do it. Once you find out how to do all the tasks you did with Win7 on Win10, you won't even think of Win7.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    I have 2 laptops, one is a crap Acer with Windows 10 that I gave my Wife. She can have all the fun she wants with that hunk of junk and if she tossed it into the Ocean, all the better. My main Unit is a HP Elitebook Workstation 128gb with 3 batteries to boot and It had Windows 10 on it when I bought it new and I uninstalled that and installed (Windows 7 Professional) And will never give up on my 7

Now that Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7 is awesome news to me. Generally their updates seems more (Malware like) than an actual Virus.
    I have swept the hard drive totally on my HP and wrote all to my external hard drive to take on this new era of no Windows 7 support.
    I did not start this thread for any negative Flak or utter nonsense why I should get Windows 10............. I started it for all those who are going to keep running their Windows 7 and we can share our stories of future events or any glitch's that may come about. I suspect there will be few if any.

Till then please enjoy a poll where we may or may not be surprised by the result..Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have not had any problems with Windows 10. I have a HP Spectre and an Alienware 17 both with Windows 10. One came with Windows 10 and the other was upgraded. All remain up to date and I have had any issues with that either. Both of these laptops are higher end products though. Your experience may vary if you are buying junk from Robinson's.

I never really thought Windows 7 was all that great. Windows 8 was mess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1