Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Best Posts in Thread: Hypermart

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    So wear a mask AND carry out all the other precautions necessary to protect yourself and your family.

Because money (along with all surfaces, including handles) is a strong potential source of infection, it does not mean that negates using a mask (in fact, as we touch our faces many times per hour, it makes a mask even more essential). Btw, all these potential sources of infection have always been so for a variety of viruses, bacteria and fungi (even free peanuts in bars were tested and showed about 20 different types of faecal bacteria and urine samples) - that fact has been given prominence now only because the virus circulating is so dangerous, but many types of infections are caused by what we handle and how we then touch our mouths and eyes.

I could list many ways to avoid getting infected (and I am a virologist) but they have been stated so many times by myself and many others that if people haven't got it by now, they never will. I am guessing that many foreigners see it as a weakness to wear a mask and other PPE, but if they take the virus back home and infect their families I think their regret will be almost unmanageable.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Recent experiences with me range from a market trader rushing after the better half and me to hand over a chunk of fish that we had left behind; water delivery rider who would not accept P5 extra for the P35 bottle of water - both today and not isolated cases of this kind of behaviour experienced since arrival here in November. Rose-tinted spectacles, maybe, but I've never seen that kind of general behaviour in any other country. Of course there are scammers and scoundrels too....and I have come across those in a few countries, but that's simply a matter of sussing them out before they take you for a ride.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Been in Hypermart this morning, arrive 9.45 am long line I was at the backdoor at the cafeteria (That door is closed and not in use) and 10 min later the queue was at the corner on the backside. People act calm and no pushing or jump in front, impressed by the discipline people show. At 10 am when the open everything went smoothly a few mins to come inside. Whats really wonders me is most people who don't wear protection are foreigners also 65+ who have hard times just to walk and breathe, maybe they are born stupid or it's lack of oxygen to the brain that makes them not wear a mask in an overcrowded area like a mall. The first to get infected and seriously sick and properly die are elderly with no immune defense but seen from my point of view no big loss, you can't fix stupid. I saw one guy jump ahead in the line, a foreigner of course. When I left the guard run after me and call me back, I had forgotten one plastic bag with goods, thank you for doing that

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Good manners? Taught here? I think not. Apart from spitting and p*ssing on the streets, leave a space anywhere (line of traffic, queue in any store) and they will shoot in as if a vacuum is to be abhorred (as it is in physics, I believe).

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  5. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    tnx for the hypermart update, guys.

LEE PLAZA UPDATE
    i went to lee plaza grocery super this am; didn't open until 10am. organized line at the main entrance but a mob at the side entrance, i was practicing social distancing as per the sign at the entrance; two line cutting incidents <tsk, tsk>, i must look like a softy. don't mothers teach their kids that line cutting is a no nooo?

got my hands sprayed with alcohol at the entrance check point and got in line for the grocery super entrance. the guard was spraying basket handles with alcohol (no big carts in use). toilet paper was stocked!!! <whew...>. got home and something smelled like a woman's purse, it was my hands and i'm reminded of that every time i scratch my nose (i'm guilty), washing with soap and water didn't help. guess i need to get used to it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    oh well, just sign it again if you accidentally wiped the signature. not the end of the world :wink:
    happened more than once to me that i signed a new card in the store because the cashier pointed out the missing signature.

the article goes into different studies that indeed examined different materials. spoiler: while there is more crap 'on' paper / linen money like the dollar or peso, it's easier for crap to transfer from plastic money (like HKD) to your hand since the crap does not stick well to the even surface.

i dont ride tricycles or buy stuff at sari sari stores and im aware, like the possession of bank cards, that makes me part of a minority compared to the general population. but in this forum, part of the majority i would say.

Anyway I still use cash, cc payments take too long most of the time and most of my shopping takes place at the market anyway. i just wash hands when i come home, old habit from long before this virus :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Without even reading the article, as it depends on the material used I would not for one moment make any assumptions about the safety of cash.

Also, if using cards is "easy" how are people going to pay for minor items - a trip on a trike, a small purchase from a sari-sari? And do all people have access to bank cards? Will the purchaser be the one to insert the card or will it be handed over to the cashier? Can the card be sterilised with alcohol without destroying the signature?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You are right about being realistic, I have overestimated many expats' intelligence, don't wear a mask in a crowded area is plan stupid, personally I always bring alcohol (as long as I have, not much left) and use it after I touch money, etc. You can't protect yourself 100% that doesn't mean you don't need to protect yourself at all. It's the same time fooking selfish, you can carry the infection and give it to others but seems some people don't care about others

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I get your point, you wear a mask others don't. But guess what, the dirtiest and most handled item is not disinfected, sanitized or anything. It is called money, hand to hand, many times over, maybe someone coughed or sneezed into their hand before they passed it along to you or anyone else. And what about the ATM you might use, who cleans that off before you begin to touch all of those buttons?

No, you can't fix stupid, but you can be realistic.

• Agree Agree x 2