Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Sending money these days

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You can set it up but beware; pulling cash out of an ATM with a credit card is called a cash advance and will likely be subject to their interest rates, which are going to be very high, regardless if you pay it off in full at the end of billing cycle.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Transferwise! www.transferwise.com found it a better deal even if you had a dollar account since you lose a bit of peso converting.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Taking 100 k out of Atm with Mastercard(I know max 20 k in one transaction) or send by TransferWise I save 5-6 k pesos on 100 k that's a big difference

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Using Mastercard cost a fee 450-500 pesos to split between the Philippine bank and fee to the bank who issued your card, then a bad exchange rate and then 3% on the amount you take out of ATM or that what it cost me, TransferWise is god and cheap from my point of view

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    Transferwise
    Best rate
    Lowest fee
    Mostly same day on my pnb account.
    Super simple site or app.

See no reason why to look for another service

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    This thread appeared before (I know this one is here because of wanting an update) but the important information still is to check Rate of Exchange PLUS Fees - too many people get attracted by a low fee and don't see how a small difference in exchange rate can make it more expensive. Obviously, companies offer low fees for that reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I have compared the amount received in pesos for a certain amount of currency (GBP in my case) - Transferwise beats everyone I checked (and I checked at the same time).

Remitly in my experience was hopeless, totally hopeless. They asked what I wanted the money for and I told them for food and eating out. They then asked for receipts for those purchases BEFORE I HAD RECEIVED THE MONEY!

I ended up with about 25 e-mail exchanges trying to get sense out of them. Perhaps they have now improved their service but their rate is low - I have found Transferwise to be the best rate and the most efficient service. With recipients already listed on my account it takes about 3 minutes to make a remittance and within a day (if a weekday) to receive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Deadeye

Deadeye DI Junior Member Blood Donor Veteran Army

Disabled vet
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I USE BDO DOLLAR ACCOUNT DIRECT DEPOSIT NO MINIMUM NEEDED I HAVE USED IT FOR 4 YEARS AND I JUST EXCHANGE TO PHP THROUGH THE BANK WHEN I WITHDRAW.. IF YOU HAVE DOLLAR ACCOUNT YOU CAN CHOOSE DOLLAR OF PESO

• Like Like x 1
  9. mattchu5150

mattchu5150 DI Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 32
    This is by far the best method, Chase cards give bank rate on, and at time of purchase. Some advice I can offer for Xoom, DO NOT send USD to PHP, instead send USD to USD then pick up at location and request PHP at that time, wherever you pick up will give you their current rate. It is usually less than 1 peso bank rate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I just did a comparison of World Remit vs TransferWise sending £1k GBP and the receiver would get cP500 more with TransferWise, so I've signed up to them.

• Agree Agree x 2