Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Alcohol ban

1. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You are living in a country where English is not their normally spoken language and as such we observe the usual broken language expected under those circumstances. This also moves, naturally, into the written word such as published notices. Why people have to take what they read or hear here, literally, is beyond me. You know the intent. You know the reasons behind it but you still have to find something wrong with it. Picky picky picky. Go with the flow and do what is expected of you under normal circumstances and you wont go wrong. and you know exactly what this is. So please, stop finding fault with everything going on at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Then why don't they ban the sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products, if it is for 'health reasons'? Again, mind boggling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They have the country and government they deserve. You are here optionally and can leave anyt...oh wait, you can't right now. I guess you just have to suck it up and cope for now. lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Not to forget that there may well be new strains of the virus coming up every year, and vaccines will never catch them all, as is the case with the flu.

One reason they gave for banning liquor in Bohol recently was, they don't want people to get together drinking in their homes violating physical distancing. I think I also read somewhere about medical reasons, which isn't even wrong - drinking weakens your immune system. So this is all nicely thought out but if you continue that line of thought you end up with a cure that's much worse than the disease - micro managing people's lives and telling them what to do and what not even in their homes.

All this stay-at-home stuff is already intrusive enough but they can't seriously try tell people what to do in their houses. There's a reason why most western societies are very careful with even suggesting such measures, even at the price of being hit harder by the disease. This isn't negligence or ignorance. It's careful weighing of options and competing values, before taking away people's freedoms. Heck there would be a riot the moment they would forbid making or selling beer in Germany. And rightly so. Cheers :smile:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The question to me, is why would you ban the sale? Look at all of the tax revenue lost again to fund many of these social programs that the President signed into law.

Last night on the news the President was demanding the Finance Secretary to find more money. Stop the business, stop the added value taxes from alcohol and some other products and then wonder why you don't have enough money to get you through a self imposed economic crisis.

Mind boggling.

What happens if this becomes a seasonal issue? Will they do this same Draconian action yet again? How many businesses will reopen with the thought that they will be shuttered again in a few months? One thing that is pretty universal, businesses don't like uncertainty.

I know some will disagree and say it will be okay when they get a vaccine. How long before that is available, a year at the earliest I would guess, there there is the question of availability and quantity?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you could find Bacardi 151 or something equally stout, perhaps. Tanduay isn't going to cut it (80 proof?). I think you need something like 70% alcohol (140 proof) for it to disinfect anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think it is a calculated decision to maintain peace and their grasp on power. Filipinos, generally, like to avoid conflict and questioning authority...until you get a litro of Red Horse in them. They are quite used to a non-functional government and kleptocrats so it is unlikely they will seriously demand more for the time being. Those in power would like to keep it that way... and that is likely for the best for the time being. Having a highly infectious disease and people revolting would be disastrous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    End of enhanced quarantine. I have that in a direct email even from (the major) brewery as well. Closed until end of quarantine.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    thanks for your advice, but just doing what is expected from me would make my life just a bit too boring, especially right now :wink:

I dont know the intent of why they would put an assumed liquor ban under the restrictions about operating vehicles in _two_ different sub sections if it had nothing to do with vehicles. In _two_ differently worded sentences. If the author would struggle with the english language, for sure they wouldn't have gone through that effort without reason?

If the intent was to put out a liquor ban for the general public, it would have been much more straight forward to just make that a separate section, or even a separate EO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I just looked up the EO and I found two places mentioning alcoholic beverages.

Both under D) 'suspension of all operations of land vehicles"

It starts with numbers 1 to 3 detailing what vehicles are allowed on the streets, then starts two sub listings on the next page with conditions "for residents" (of negor?) and "non residents" listing requirements apparently for business related vehicles being allowed to go anywhere (bring business permit, max 2 assistants, 1 driver etc)

these sublistings both have as their last clause "strict banning of alcohol beverages" (for residents) or "selling of alcoholic beverages are [sic] strictly prohibited" (for non-residents).

The next point is 5. continuing with allowing all afp, pnp etc vehicles.

Not only is the 4. heading missing (maybe lost in the process of posting the document as photos on fb), but what on earth do they actually mean with these badly worded and apparently out-of-context restrictions? does it actually mean that no commercial delivery trucks carrying alcoholic beverages are allowed to drive? why the different wording for residents / non residents?

Either way, to me it doesnt seem to declare a liquor ban for stores, but appears to be a ban on liquor delivery vehicles. For whatever reason. They could as well ban chocolate deliveries or whatever. Maybe the author is a recovered alcoholic who hates himself and the world and therefore sneaked this into the resolution there.

who knows. buy the stuff as long as it's on the shelves :wink:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1