Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Purpose of This Section?

1. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Earl78

To get you a good answer Need you to answer one big question. Is your wife a Philippine born Filipina? That will make a big difference in your Visa type. Getting a Visa from the US embassy is not going to happen. You will need to go to a Philippine embassy in order to get a Philippine Visa in the states. The old bases have been converted to commercial use by the Filipino government and the US has not say or control over their use.

The US VA OPC in Manila? In my opinion the staff are good and professional. The problem with the care there is that their hands are handcuffed behind their backs and their feet are tied, by the US government. So do not put a lot of trust in VA medical help here.

True, the VA “the health insurance game” is called FMP (Foreign Medical Program). This means that you PAY for your medical help and then TRY to get the FMP to reimburse you. That process will take something like 3 or 6 MONTHS to complete.

Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Earl78

Earl78 DI New Member Veteran Army

U.S. Army retired
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I am retired U.S. Army of 29 years currently living in Florida, contemplating the ex-pat life in Dumaguete. We (the Mrs. and I) plan on visiting in December 2020 (if COVID passes). I have many Veteran oriented questions and would appreciate knowing the answers before I arrive. This would make the trip alot easier.

• Like Like x 3
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I would love to hear from Aussie vets. My jungle warfare instructors were Aussies. At that time, they had more experience fighting and training in non=conventional warfare.
    They could out drink us too. Much respect.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just one bit of advice, let your bank know in advance of your travel plans so they don't cut your ATM/other cards off as a security precaution. Depending on your bank, you might be reimbursed ATM fees, my USAA account does that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is that not how it works for everybody in every other aspect of life? I thought this was just responsible personal finance 101. Being financially responsible is the responsibility of the individual. The VA isn't a veteran's personal accountant, serving overseas doesn't excuse anyone from being a big boy or girl and having to deal big boy and girl things, they have millions of other veterans to deal with and their own budgeting issues. As for them talking a long time to get out checks/refunds, they are underfunded and understaffed because of those cowards, traitors and enemies of the state in Congress and the Whitehouse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Speaking of the Devil:
    Just got the final reimbursement check for a calm for medical expenses back in April 2019.
    Shows you how fast the FMP is in geting you paid back. In my experience; this is typical of how long it takes for the FMP to get you your money back.
    :clown: :drool: :mad:

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  7. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You can stay up to 3 years renewing your tourist visa every 2 to 6 months, if you wish to stay permanently there is a SRRV visa offered by the Philippine Retirement Authority and because of your military service it would be easy to procure... when you are here you can investigate with other expats...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Welcome to the forum Earl. We are here to help.

• Agree Agree x 2