Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Makati foreigner to be charged for violating quarantine rules, assaulting police

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    He expressed that anger like a petulant child. The right thing to do is shut you f'n mouth, take the ticket, get a lawyer and fight it in court. You don't win arguing with the police, ever. That garbage entitled trailer trash personality makes the rest of us look bad. I personally hope he is deported.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Seems to summarize a good portion of expats in the Philippines and Thailand. Can you blame them? Just look at almost any video of a foreigner in the media. Garbage humans.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    I don't find the term "foreigner" demeaning. It is, after all, what we are here, and I can't think of another more accurate term to be honest.

What amuses me is when Filipinos (not all of course, but many) assume all us "foreigners" have the same likes, dislikes, interests etc, despite the fact that, as a "foreigner", we could be from any one of 194 different countries. It is a constant source of amusement to me (it doesn't annoy me, I just think it's quite funny) when I hear comments like:

"You should order this. Foreigners like it."
    "Wow, you eat rice."
    "Don't go there. You won't like it. Foreigners don't like it there."
    "Go to this place. Foreigners go there."
    "Have you ever tried Filipino food?"
    "It's spicy. You won't be able to eat it."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    The story was in the news today. It wasn't clear in the article if he would be detained or if he was definitely being deported. The Spaniard was definitely admonished by the head of the BI so it's is almost guaranteed he'll be buying a one way ticket.
    If he ends up in Bicutan foreigner jail for a while he will be one unhappy camper.
    Maybe he can star in an episode of Locked Up Abroad.
    Dumb A$$

PS I think his type of behavior towards anyone can get you in his position.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is unfortunate that the media doesn't show the good that some of the expats do but good news doesn't get views (and ultimately advertiser's money).

I know there are some expats doing good charitable work in the Philippines and Negros that really helps the poor. Unfortunately, far too many of these people are doing so illegally without getting the proper visa requirements and/or setting up the proper NPO/NGO framework. This also leads to their work being less visible, open to accusations of fraud, waste and abuse and can also lead to arrests and deportations making them appear like criminals/scammers to all but the tiny community they were providing direct help for. (This also limits the amount of help they can provide as people are going to be much more reluctant to donate to these small person programs without any official organization or books being kept.) I understand why many don't; navigating the bureaucracy and legal paperwork can be extremely confusing and time consuming and seeking donations from outside sources along with keeping proper financial records can be a full time job on it's own...but staying legal is essential when you are dealing with money, especially in a country where corruption and greed reigns supreme.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    From a news paper article. The BI said;

"(Even if she’s married to a Filipina or if he’s a resident or whatever his status is, he could still be subjected to deportation proceedings.)"

The Spaniard was upset and probably for a fairly good reason. It doesn't matter if his rage was justified or not. He could end up deported the BI will be doing some follow-up. It is always (ALWAYS) good to keep in mind that we can be deported fairly easily.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Having thought more about it and read the various responses, I think why I feel a bit unsettled by it is because 'foreigner' seems to define who I am here in every aspect of life. I do this because I'm a foreigner, I look like that because I'm a foreigner, I think like that because etc etc.

I have to say that it's not all negative comment that I've experienced on what foreigners do, some of it is complementary, but it still goes into the same bracket of defining who and what I am.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    stupid getting into a fight, but on the other hand, still pretty ridiculous that the cop demands the helper to wear a mask while watering the flowers, alone. thats the general problem with such rules in countries like this - people who otherwise dont get much to say enforce these rules to the last dot, without the slightest sense of proportion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Update on this person. One, found out he is from Spain. Two, guess who is going back home as an undesirable and overstaying? BI made the decision today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1