Best Posts in Thread: Mead / Home Brew

1. Milowood

Milowood DI Junior Member Veteran Army

Helicopter Pilot
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As an expat who lived for years in Saudi Arabia I do have some experience in this area. Real fruit juices work best of course, not flavored sugar water. 5 gallon plastic containers work great. Bakers yeast works just as well as brewers yeast however, it does leave a bit of aftertaste, not much. Leave the container vented while it brews. It will off gas like crazy. More sugar = more alcohol. Once the sugar is consumed it will stop fermenting and the liquid will slowly clear as sediment settles to the bottom of the container. You don't need to wait for months only till the liquid clears, however when you bottle or put in containers make sure you do not allow any sediment into the containers and is a good idea to strain with cheese cloth as well. Sediment in wine means bad hangovers. Aging this kind of plonk will not improve the taste, in fact the opposite is likely to occur. If you bottle and the wine still smells yeasty and is degassing then you have bottled while it is still fermenting and you will end up with sparkling wine or an explosion. Cheers.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Giving this a go. I found some yeast at the market in Valencia. (Pronouncing "yeast" as it is actually pronounced only leads to confusion and "deer in the headlights" looks. Locals call it "yes't".) I am assuming this is bread/baker's yeast and not beer/wine yeast. It costs P5 per packet which I guesstimate is good for about 50 liters. I am also guessing the yeast will die off around 10-15% alcohol content from what I have seen in YouTube videos.

My first two attempts are with 1 liter of 100% coconut water and pineapple juice, adding 1 cup of white sugar and half a teaspoon of the yeast to each mix. I will let them sit for a week and test, if they aren't strong enough I will give it another week. So far after just one day I am getting a strong alcohol smell out of both bottles. Seems promising and I plan on experimenting more as I find more juice, but so far I have only found the pineapple and coconut juice. I may try the 4 seasons juice box if I am unable to find anything else locally as it seems that the only thing that matters is the sugar to yeast ratio. The rest seems to be only for flavor (so long as there aren't any additional ingredients or preservatives added to the juice.)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    IMG_20200519_194754.jpg

Just took a sip of the coconut water wine(?) tonight and I'm quite impressed with the progress. It is much better than the original product, which I found a bit off-putting. It is nicely carbonated, alcohol content tastes like it is in the 5-8% range, not overly sweet (but still a bit too much on the sweet side for my personal taste) and mellowed out that coconut water flavor that I'm not a huge fan on. This is after 4 or 5 days. Plenty of bubbles still coming up so I'll give it another 2-3 days, taste test again then refrigerate. I'm hoping to get it up around the 10-15% alcohol range.

The tasting was at room temperature. I think if refrigerated it might even give my rum and coke zero preference a run for the money...though, personally, its caloric values, which I have no idea how to calculate, may be an issue for regular consumption.

For ~1 liter of coconut water I added 1 cup of sugar and ~1/2 a teaspoon of baker's yeast. I will definitely experiment with larger batches if this turns out good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. JoyDelicacies

JoyDelicacies DI Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 43
    As time passes your assessment is becoming more and more true. People enjoy fear, sensationalism and frenzy. The voice of reason is easily drowned out. What is really aggravating is when stupid meets ignorant and it affects one personally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
  5. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    What I've learned (the hard way) visiting some countries, is that whilst outsiders vilify the particular regime of a country, most of the locals see it differently.

Two examples are in Phils and China.

Here in the Philippines, the President attracts almost God-like adulation from most Filipinos. Outsiders tend to look at some of the unconventional methods used to achieve the goals and zero in on those in a critical way.

In China, of course the Chinese know that their Government uses methods that outside of China are seen as wrong/inhumane/restrictive/oppressive or whatever. Most of them accept this in the name of progress and boy, have they progressed of late. What other country would idolise a man who was directly responsible for the killing of millions?

In both of these cases, Western governments or in the case of the Philippines, opposition parties, home in on the things they don't like as a strategy to undermine.

I'm not saying I agree with either way of governing a country, but sometimes you have to just let the locals decide and let them get on with it as it's not our business.

Maybe this should have gone into the 'Controversial Topic' section? It moves on the debate above though and hopefully adds something.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And it becomes readily apparent that there is no shortage of that in the Government Officials making policy. No matter the Country. Plenty to go around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Meh. The state the world is in now is what happens when you let fear take over.
    Screenshot_20200521-193453.png

We participate in and deal with far riskier things on a daily basis, likely MUCH more dangerous things once (if) we find out exactly how many people have been infected without any serious symptoms. If we freaked out like this on every thing more dangerous than COVID-19 the world would not resemble anything like it does today. I think it is time we end this nonsense and get the world back on track and stop screwing over the younger generations. This virus is not nearly as scary as many initially thought it to be. F*ck China and f*ck the WHO. Anyone found to have knowingly hidden or misrepresented information for political/diplomatic gains should be gathered up (along with every living generation of their family that didn't loudly and publicly condemn those actions) and hung from the nearest tree, recorded and uploaded to the internet for all to see. What happened to Mussolini and his wife would be far too kind of a punishment for those that have abused their powers during this pandemic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    You will understand this well - everybody should do what best suits them, unless it hurts others.

So brew away until your heart (and belly) feel content! :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    People say this about just about every popular beer out there. I would bet that there process is much safer, better regulated and more sterile than many people doing it at home. It's fine to not like the taste of a beer but to imply that something wrong is going on without any evidence is just as dishonest as the actions that those companies are being accused of.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If I can make it cheaper or at the same price, have a product I enjoy and not support a government/leadership I disapprove of (because they are openly hostile to mine and regularly talk about restricting visas to screw over the people from that country) by depriving them of their "sin" tax then I consider that a win. The less I give to the government the better. Sure, it is petty and makes absolutely no difference but...oh well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1