Dumaguete Info Search

Review Best Posts in Thread: NON-SOLAR WHOLE HOUSE BATTERY BACK UP SYSTEM

1. contrail

contrail DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +71 / 7
    To answer this and other questions;

The smallest OFF GRID plug and play LFP system I deal with is 6Kw, and of that, you'll only get a 2-year inverter warranty,

I never have and I don't sell, AGM, FLAB,GEL. battery systems. I'll just have upset disappointed customers, leave that to the DIY'er and homesteaders.

Really for a blackout, small diesel genset is the most cost-effective solution. Although I have numerous customers who pay the price for our systems.

The best ROI and safest is a CE/UL/NEC certified Microinverter, with a 25year warranty. I sell thousands.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. contrail

contrail DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +71 / 7
    The old saying you get what you pay for.
    For a truly plug and play UPS battery system with 5 year inverter and 10 year battery warranty.

Non Solar or with Solar

5000 watts of pure AC couple sinewave, 10Kwh LFP battery expandable to 30Kwh All CE certified designed in Germany.

What will this get you?

If your average consumption is 1000 20200421_101529.jpg watts

1 Kwh

For example.
    1.5hp inverter split AC
    Standard refrigerator freezer
    50" LED tv with surround sound
    Laptop
    14"fan.

It would. Run 10 hours.

What would it cost

Installed Dumagete depending on your current home wiring?

System size 2ftx6ftx12inch

P500k-700k

Most people wont have the budget for this basic entry level system.

Most will try the lead acid cheep inverter charge controller approach and waste their money.

Please see detailed description under prefab house on this sam forum.

Untitled Design (5).jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  4. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I wondered the same thing, why has no one offered a deep cycle battery and inverter package specifically for brownout protection ? could be several configurations depending on what you would need to power up in brownout... I for one would be interested in a config that would power Router, Fan and a few other creature comforts for our numerous brownouts ....and you would not have the constant noise of a generator in the background... just a thought :smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I am not a pro at solar, though I have studied it a fair amount. This is how I understtand it based on my needs.

Though extremely unreliable on a hour-to-hour basis, NORECO's surprise blackout periods are usually only between 15 minutes and a few hours. Then there are the seemingly-monthly Sunday blackouts that are scheduled for about 10 hours. When all these occur, I don't want my (not yet purchased) moderately expensive grid-tied solar system to sit idle because NORECO can't get their overpriced act together to keep my lights lit and my beer cold. Although you disdain "battery backup", I am aware of their various shortcomings and would never complain to a vendor about the batteries because I would have done my homework and knew what I was getting (and not getting). For that reason, when I am ready to go solar (and maybe add wind power), it will be a hybrid system that, when it shines, lets the sun power my property despite NORECO's lack of service. As the sun goes down and the wind goes calm, I will have batteries to get me through the night. If the batteries are not up to the task can't, the hybrid will allow NORECO to automatically plug me into their ancient, substandard power grid.

The idea is consistent, uninterrupted power. Grid-tied solar does not do that as long as NORECO gets to shut down my solar panels when it is not up to the task of keeping the power lines hot. It is a safety consideration for the linemen. I get it. When NORECO goes dark, I want a system that UNTIES me from the grid and lets my solar panels keep doing their thing and lets batteries kick in when the sun goes down.

For major blackout events, like Typhoon Odette, there is the diesel generator if ultimately needed.

So, why don't I have solar yet? I am looking for a reliable, experienced company that offers the hybrid system I seek. I am sure there are several, even dozens. What I am not sure of is which ones will try to rip me off. It is a puzzlement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    solar panels + battery is the best backup system. if you want to be completely independent look for a wind turbine, that's interesting. and btw, all these systems with batteries are not environmental friendly. I recommend the new film from Michael Moore "Planet of the Humans", an eye opener about so called environmental friendly technologies

• Like Like x 2
  7. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Sorry, I do not know where you can checkout a whole house battery backup system.

I will add to the discussion about lithium vs lead acid batteries. The lithium batteries are dropping in cost. Particularly if you buy them direct from China. Lithium batteries support many more discharge cycles than lead acid and they last much longer. Lead acid batteries typically only last three years in these conditions. Even if you never use them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1