Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: The Bureau of Immigration

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    You aren't renouncing US citizenship when you reacquire Philippine citizenship. Once you have American citizenship you will always have it unless you specifically tell the USCIS you no longer want it. Taking the Philippines oath to reacquire Philippine citizenship will not change that. Many Filipino's in the US are dual citizens. I'm not aware of any serious consequences and if at some time you had to pick or choose you could renounce whichever one you wanted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    No, it is at a higher level than that. I could be talking about Canada. And I am inferring nothing of the sort about people’s ethics. Everybody has their own ethics, that is their own business yet you are reading into my words something I never said. I personally have a completely different perspective (concerning myself) having been born a citizen. If my wife wanted to be a dual I would have no problem with that, as I shouldn’t, because it would be her personal decision. I never swore an oath of any kind to any country. I never had occasion to do so. But if I did, and then swore another oath to another country I would be faced with a dilemma, war or no war, friendly country or not. But my friends can say ‘don’t worry about it’. I would probably listen to them but the ethical dilemma is still there. My wife chose not to listen to her friends and I respect that and nobody including you is going to convince this legal immigrant who studied faithfully and went through the process, and who did swear an oath to USA citizenship, unlike you or me, to believe differently. Sorry if I miscommunicated in any way. Everybody runs into ethical dilemmas in life, major and minor, and how we handle them is nobody else’s business. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    I believe (but check from an official source) that would be allowed - it seems to me that these rulings are based on family life. So maybe their thinking is that a retirement visa is more likely to be a single person (even though that is not 100% true) but the other visas they quote (including the non-visa BB waiver) are for foreigners married to Filipinas and have a wife and, perhaps, children to support (also a burden off the State).

BUT today I read that, due to insurance coverage issues, Filipinos are now prohibited from travelling out of the country for non-essential purposes. This means if your wife is already out then she could enter with you and, hopefully, obtain you a BB visa (waiver) - but if she is now in the Philippines then she cannot come out to meet you in a nearby country to re-enter with you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think you may underestimate how much wives and families cost.

Quota visas are also considered permanent resident immigrant visas. I would consider the Quota Visa (13) the gold standard of the Philippines "immigrant visas" (13 series visas) and "more permanent" than marriage visas as marriages regularly crash and burn and without your marriage you no longer have a visa. You can also be held ransom and black mailed by a knowledgeable spouse. There isn't much that can cancel a Quota Visa. Quota visas are as bullet proof as visas come in the Philippines.

I suspect the special, S series, visas (SSRV/SIRV/SEVUA) will be allowed re-entry in the next month or two and the 9 series (tourist/work/student/TRV) being allowed in around the end of the year/beginning of 2021, so long as no other countries f*ck up their countries as catastrophically as Trump has. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Americans having travel restrictions placed on them by the Philippines due to that retard in the Whitehouse (as we are already starting to see).

Everyone just needs to keep calm and remain flexible. This pandemic is screwing up all kinds of things all over the world, you have to be able to adapt and hopefully you haven't put all your eggs in the Philippines basket. Sucks if you have done that but that's a mistake you can't blame anyone but yourself for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I looked into the SRRV and was informed that if you miss your enrollment payment whether year one or 3, then you have to do it all over again, including the payments. To me, that is not permanent.

I have the 13A and it expired on me once, it was not cancelled, I paid the fine and was reissued a new one, that was 'permanent', I did not have to reapply through the whole process and pay out all of the money again.

Then again, here and probably in other places, no Visa is 'permanent', you can be deported from countries for a variety of reasons and then not allowed reentry. But I do get the point of permanent residence versus visitor. I have heard complaint from some SRRV holder too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Judging from the SCORES of comments on the PRA facebook page, many members are exremely unhappy. Wow.PRA wants to run their mission/business to have Customer satisfaction but BI doesn't really consider letting SRRV in as they do 13a. There may actually be some SRRV people cashing in deposits, at least that is what they say. They feel like they were treated unfairly because they went through even more than 13a to get these visas (they spent and tied-up a lot more money). You can see the comments on the PRA facebook page. I am rather bewildered myself but then again, BI is not a business so in a way I understand their motives; it is probably just a numbers game to BI and they just want to deal with as few returnees as possible with the manpower they have. PRA Money is not an issue to them.

• Informative Informative x 2