Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Wow look at the numbers, covid makes it more save?

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm not really surprised by fewer deaths. Imagine how many lives have been saved just by enforcing the helmet law alone. I imagine people have been eating healthier and drinking less since restaurants and bars have been restricted or too expensive for those that have had their incomes reduced. I have also seen a huge jump in people being physically active. That will definitely have a better health outcome for almost all diseases.

• Agree Agree x 10
  2. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142

More power to you John, but not just Christians do good deeds.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Yes, but having a tempered point of view and being vigilant is very rare. Being vigilant is the key here. You are projecting your point of view upon others in that you think they can act in a balanced way as you do.

Earlier today a person posted this about some people: "They are simple people with simple minds incapable of critical thinking. They regurgitate the crap they read online verbatim."

My point is that many people will go out and NOT be vigilant unless constantly being reminded.

This is a communicable disease and the behavior of a few affects us all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Your posting will split the Forum as there are many who approve of certain control methods, some who hate them. This is obvious from every new posting on the subject. But, as a believer in control of Covid-19 (there being no preventative medicines currently), this is my response:

Then why are dams built if once they are removed, areas flood?

Infection is not inevitable for the majority, as things stand at the current time. That may change but a vaccine/antiviral medications/weakening of the virus, would prevent that outcome.

What will happen to save the majority of us is what I wrote in the paragraph above plus the sensible use of lockdowns and other methods.

They were lucky - probably they had no co-morbitities and may be of a younger age. But look at the figures and you will see that almost one million people had a greater outcome - they died. And many millions suffered more than only a loss of smell and taste. If anyone can predict with 99% accuracy, in advance, which infected persons will go on to develop only a mild illness then they should get the Nobel Prize.

I am out and about - only been in a "cell" (of my choosing) for a few weeks. I acknowledge the economic factors (and that some lockdowns were unnecessary or too draconian) but there was no real alternative.

And are you suggesting that people who believe in some controls have no empathy? It is easy to argue the opposite case - the divide is primarily between preventative control (agreed with mostly by older people and ill people) and avoidance of economic disruption (agreed with mostly by young, fit people). "Empathy" can be used as a defence in both cases.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Hello again everyone. I've now experienced COVID responses in 3 countries (Philippines, UAE, Kuwait). In all three places, once lockdowns and other measures are relaxed, numbers rise. Here in Kuwait, they are predicting a "Second, deadlier wave of COVID-19" around October. I ask you, why are lockdowns happening if after they are ended, the numbers go up? Why do most of you not see infection as inevitable? What will happen to this virus to save you?

My older brother's ex-wife cuts hair on a military installation in the US. Their measures are rather draconian as military members are a captive audience with modified rights. The very first day my brother's ex-wife was allowed to cut hair, she was infected with COVID-19. She took it home to her 17 year old son. Her 17 year old son took it to his father's home, infecting his father and his father's new significant other.

In all 4 cases, the worst thing that happened was they all completely lost their sense of smell and sense of taste. Each experienced mild flu type symptoms, stayed at home as required, and went back to school and work afterwards. All 4 cases. My brother isn't well off financially and now had to postpone working on his coursework for PA. His SO was just fine as she is employed as an RN. His ex-wife was let go/fired/whatever you want to call not having a job any longer. His son is now two weeks further behind on his school work, which has always been a problem for him.

In 3 of the 4 cases, their lives are worse off, not due to the disease, but their goverment's and employer's means of dealing with it. How long do you believe people should stay in their cells? Why do you find that option tenable? Do you perhaps lack the empathy you accuse others of lacking?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I fully understand the strict rules imposed in Philippines with regard to the Lockdown, but many forum members also live outside the Philippines who retain an interest in their Homeland or their spouses Homeland. I have read on this forum and other forums, Expats moaning about the lockdown and objecting to it. The reason of my input was purely to comfirm that this Covid virus should be taken seriously, something which around the world is now being taken far to lightly.
    I might also add that it would seem that Southern Asia has managed the virus more effiecently than elsewhere.
    It is a sad fact that really poor people have little chance of improvement, I have seen the poverty first hand and as a Christian, support not just family members but charities dealing with
    people in dire circumstances. The world has a lot more problems it should address, Covid is just one of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I dont think stress and anxiety and I will add fear although it much the same thing, has anything to do with it. Only one word is necessary. Stupidity. It is abundantly clear that mixing together in a crowd without taking precautions is the reason it spreads. There is no other reason.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    It's true that initially most Governments didn't know what they were dealing with or how to handle it.
    To a lesser degree they still don't have answer today, apart from social distancing which I'm sure you have read or seen is being ignored by many in a lot of countries.
    Until a vaccine is marketed, you can expect highs and lows in the numbers of positive's
    It is also stated that persons with health problems are more likely to die from the virus..... and that due to the loosening of restrictive travel a second spike is likely.
    For most people, the fact that they have mild symtoms, makes them feel the virus is not as serious as we are lead to believe!
    Well I can assure the doubters that having a friend (Filipino ) who I have always considered fit and healthy here in UK, spend over 50 days in hospital mostly on a ventilator.......
    This is not the time to be complacent!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  9. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    100 % agree and tired and saddened by those who are "I am fine all else can die" attitude... takes a pandemic to see the true nature of some.....

• Agree x 2
    • Thanks x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Genius x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    But some do not have the brains to make use of it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1