Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist Visa Best Posts in Thread: 59 Day visa Expiry

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Yes you can as was in duma bi earlier today and heard the girl offering a 6 month extension to someone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Agree. It is a fantastic option. There are a few little kinks in the law that could on rare occasions cause problems. 1. It is up to the Immigration officer to grant the waiver. He may refuse for any reason. 2. Technically, for renewal, you should have been out of the Philippines for a year. My understanding is that this requirement is rarely enforced, if ever. But if you are a person who always befalls bad luck, (like me), it could be enforced on you.

Regarding B.B. waiver renewal, have a friend from the USA who took the trip to Hong Kong with his Filipina wife, in about the 2010 time period. This would give them a vacation in HK plus inexpensively allow them to renew the BB waiver. They came back through Manila, not Cebu (Cebu is MUCH friendlier for these things). While standing in line, the word was that to renew the BB, that is, to make the officer “want to voluntarily grant the privilege”, there should be a US C-note or equivalent placed in your passport. My friend is very stubborn in these kinds of situations and even I would never do that because if someone was watching on camera or whatever, one could be accused of attempted bribery. So he was smart to not do that. Unfortunately he only received the 21 day visa and I think he got an extension to 59 days at the airport. Then he went to a lawyer; there are good lawyers and bad lawyers for these purposes. It seems difficult to find a good lawyer.

Still I think the repeated renewal of B.B. waiver is a great option. For one, corruption at immigration is way down due to Duterte. And they are still not enforcing the 1 year absence, at least not in Cebu. Again it is the sole discretion of the officer to grant the waiver.

I think if one is married to an ex-citizen who does not want to go the dual citizen route, the best option is to have your ex-Filipina spouse obtain a COURTESY SSRV visa (ex- filipina citizens are eligible for this). She can then sponsor the foreign spouse. Total cost is US$ 1.7K(no deposit of pension checks required, no 10k or 20k or 50k deposit requirements, You will be a permanent resident with no ECC requirements, you come and go as you please, you deal with the PRA in nice, modern surroundings instead of waiting in line in sweaty BIR locations. That is what we plan to do later this year. Sorry for writing a book but these things are never as simple as we would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1