Dumaguete Info Search

Poll Best Posts in Thread: MANHUNT FOR A KILLER

1. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, if as a country you allow totally fancy damages claims (as in: ones that make the victim or their family rich) to be battled in court (and eventually often awarded), then you shouldn't be surprised when you end up with lawyer offices at every street corner, and insurance policies for personal or professional liability costing a fortune in premiums.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I eat meat but would be unable to slaughter the animals - except in dire circumstances.

I am pro the death penalty but only for serious crimes of evil - don't ask me what they are as it would be a judgement made in each case. However, for those evil b*stards who do terrible things to people (beheading, burning alive) I would be very happy to sign any document that gives them a very slow and very painful death - but will admit I could not administer it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Some criminals are able to get away with their misdeeds because they can afford to hire good lawyers who will twist the truth for money—so sad.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

well my friend, you have to remember that the majority of presidents in this last hundred years have been attorneys, a majority of the US senate are attorneys, virtually all judges are attorneys, the US house has a very high proportion of attorneys. many state houses are similarly configured. the whole system is designed by, and for the benefit, of attorneys. the system you comment on has been created by the attorneys for their benefit, they are not innocent beneficiaries.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    A massive manhunt was launched for a killer who stabbed to death 3 people (2nurses and 1 nursing student) in their house where he was hired as a construction worker and who also robbed the victims’ cash and several iPads.

This happened in Caloocan last Sunday but
    the criminal is said to have fled somewhere here in the Visayas. I am sharing the news with the criminal’s photo. If the link does not show, you may read the details from the newspaper called Philstar.

Details are in the story below.

https://bit.ly/2SsO9Mo

• Informative Informative x 4
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Just watched it, following your recommendation. Saw it many years ago but great to see it again now I know more about life.

Not giving spoilers, but interesting to see and think about how narrow justice is.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mangoman

mangoman DI Junior Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +125 / 4
    Rye83... if you've never seen the movie "12 angry men" (starring henry fonda) you should definitely watch this film... it is film making at it's best... a true masterpiece... and deals with the point you make here regarding the jury getting it right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This discussion reminds me of the Death Penalty argument ... lots of people are against it until someone they love is murdered.... it is obvious that the death penalty does not seem to affect the murder rate but then again is it fair to bear the cost of incarcerating for life... also most of those who favor the death penalty would not be able to push the button/pull the lever so what are we to do ??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Getting acquitted is not the same here as in other countries. It is very common to get acquitted of a crime and then be killed by a motorcycle assassin two weeks later. Seems to be the way the locals reduce the cost of imprisoning criminals.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think that this entire thing (unsolved crime in the Philippines) is more of a confrontation between reality and a public that watches (mostly american) tv-shows that totally unrealistic depict crime solving in a 40 minute episode by detective teams equipped with every modern technology one can think of.
    It is even less realistic to expect police in a developing nation to have sophisticated detective teams all around the country to deal with serious crime.

Yes, more resources should be made available for crime solving even in this country, but expecting results quickly would even then be unrealistic.

Just as an example, a heinous crime in the Netherlands in 1998 where a pedophile allegedly raped and killed a young boy is only now leading to court proceedings, 22 years after. This alleged perpetrator has been at or very near the top of the "unsolved crimes" list of the police for 20 years or so, until finally the biggest DNA investigation ever in the country delivered first a relative of the suspect and then a suspect. I'm not saying this is a representative example, just illustrating that even having dozens of detectives/investigators on a case doesn't necessarily lead to quick results (and sometimes not to results at all).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1