Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Noreco - service worse than ever!

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    If you have low voltage the chances of it coming from Noreco's primary lines is basically none, the relays that monitor current and voltage would trip the breaker for the feeder at the substation. Low voltage issues are normally from over loaded transformers and, in your case a loose connection on the secondary side of things. Very easy to troubleshoot and sort out.

We've had our house, with our own transformer for 6+ years with a solid 240VAC, obviously we deal with brownouts the same as everyone else when they occur on the primary line. Honestly, the only issue we have had was a big a$$ lizard crossed the primary bushings and blew the fused cut out, Noreco hooked us up by replacing the fuse...we just needed to give them a new fuse after the fact. Good experience actually and only took a couple hours to sort out and some soft drinks for the guys.

Shawn

• Like Like x 4
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I asked PROSIELCO about that leasing question ;letting others share the transformer) and they verbally assured us we would be the only ones connected. And we we are, right now. Actually, what happened was PROSIELCO audited the electrical demand on our property and counted our 3 inverter aircons, our refrigerators and our lower loads as well and came of with 15KVA as satisfying our high load average requirements (which agreed with my calculations). So basically, for the additional monthly payment we are guaranteed 15KVA with clean voltage (and it truly does not sag at all under full load). They could have installed 25KVA I suppose and fed 10 KVA elsewhere but we get the 15KVA in any case (except during the very frequent brownouts) and if we were unsatisfied, we could just get terminate the lease and buy our own. We have never had a problem with this arrangement. There is no contract commitment or anything like that. Another option they gave was to buy an old rebuilt unit (or we could get a new one from Dumaguete).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I think this dates back to when homes were being energized for the first time; NORECO still must assume that new members are not educated on the safe use of electricity. The voltage is 220v which is quite high and electrocutions do happen. We had the same thing in Siquijor with Prosielco. Everybody goes thru it as you said. Considering the level of education of some new local members and the hazards of 230v I think the seminars are a essentially good thing for them and I guess the world doesn’t revolve around 1st world foreigners. it is more related to being a developing country but perhaps the process could be streamlined; they could give foreigners a test to waive the seminar but how would a person feel if they failed. And, I suspect some would fail lol; they cover things like HV distribution and transformers as part of the safety training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2