Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Purpose of this Forum

1. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Um, er..I’m in two minds about this. The forum owner seems to be more proactive of late and that seems to me to have lifted the tone somewhat. I’d been at the end of one or two stinging personal attacks a few years back (they just stung, bit surprising, no harm done other than to the ego for 5 minutes) and putting a stop to that imho has improved the general tone.

At others I’ve thought some moderator actions have been a little harsh and outside my comprehension. I own that, maybe there’s some stuff I don’t know about going on in the background. He’s the mod, he owns the d*mn thing and has to live with the ball ache. But overall, not a bad and probably un rewarded job. General win I reckon.

As for the political stuff, I welcome views n opinions, I might learn from them to change my set in their ways outlook. I think the freedom to express them without pillory or personal attack is just as important as me commenting on those I disagree with to the same standards. Racist etc views being the exception. No place for that.

so Mod/Admin, not a bad job, thanx for the space, guess we could all a thing or two, huh?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I get there are certain subjects that we don't like and views from others that differ from ours. Some people are able to just ignore them, while others don't seem to have that ability. I chose a forum that is diverse, not driven by censorship because someone disagrees and doesn't have the ability to just ignore it. Personal attacks are the exception and should not be tolerated. We are all given the tools to not see particular members posts or to ignore threads. I don't understand why censorship has to be the answer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Long before 2017, the forum has had controversy with members and moderators. Different folks with different strokes. The nature of the beast. Sadly, we lose some key contributors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  4. BEACHBUMM

BEACHBUMM DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 18
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I personally just visit the site for information about the issues I care about. I found a lot of members very active in posting useful facts and news that I might miss on the National TV (gf's kid likes her cartoon alot). However seeing how other users sometimes attack passive aggressively just because someone disagrees with them then twist, misinterpret and misrepresent what others have said to try and dominate the argument, it's just ugly. And I don't want to be a part of that. So I'll just go back to being a silent visitor. Peace out!

• Like Like x 4
  5. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Do you know that you can opt out of specific threads? (topics) The content you are complaining about is contained in threads that you can opt out of. Simply choose ignore thread at the upper right. (Controversial section, Humor, Off Topic, etc.) This way you would only see the information relating to Dumaguete.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 230
    The effects of lockdown have taken their toll in different ways.....for some its a noticable loss of memory, others depression- loneliness and some are frustated or angry.
    Don't bite my head off....I'm just sayin!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    As I now get attacked by a small minority of members because I happen to know a bit about virology and they may be envious, I will answer this one.

Any attack on a member of the Forum should NOT be acceptable, nor to refer to that person's friends in the attack. If the person is not on the Forum, perhaps is a political figure, then best to avoid being critical as it is bound to please some and annoy others and that is not the purpose of this Forum as I see it. National news media seems a more appropriate choice.

Going back to the Forum specifically, if people cannot write civilly then perhaps they should leave the Forum and write somewhere else - preferably in a personal note book and keep it to themselves. Even better, after writing a rant in their personal note book about a person they know very little about, they should then flush it down the toilet. You see, I wrote that without any reference to any person and think I will not have offended anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Yes, it is 'water off ....' but maybe I am also a bit 'quackers' by nature - it is what keeps me sane.

• Like Like x 2
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I'm thinking that tone/language is part of the issue. A discussion can go down in a civil way and a non-civil way. There is a reason that certain words can't be posted on the forum. If you can't write the f word, does coming up with a creative word to represent that word make it ok?

If I say all (pick a person) followers are f'in idiots. How is that different from a personal attack? In other words, is it ok to attack a large group of people but not ok to attack an individual?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Someone wants to dance.

• Winner Winner x 2