Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Special Grade Marine ply

1. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    If you are from the US or Europe I doubt you will find the marine ply that you are looking for here.

Here in the Philippines there is no enforcement as to what plywood gets labeled marine. Particularly plywood from China. Even the crap is labeled marine.

Proper marine plywood is very expensive and I doubt there is a sizeable market for it here. Here people tend to buy the lowest priced products without concern for value.

On the other hand I have seen boats made from exterior glued ply and only an epoxy coating (no fiber reinforcement) last for 10 years. Particularly when removed from the water for storage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Santa Clara Plywood is made with waterproof glue, mostly it only has one good face, but if you pick through the pile in a hardware store sometimes the second face is not too bad, in SRT Valencia it is P800 for the 5mm and 1750 for the 10mm, Duplimilco in DGTE has it is also, I have been using this for quite some time and it has never delaminated with me up till now, some of the things I have made with it have been dipped in water many times, it is made here in the Philippines.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1