Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Noreco again!

1. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    We have just suffered another 10 hrs without power overnight due to this hopeless outfit's incompetence and inability to resolve an ages old right of way issue. They will find it hard to pass the buck on this one, being as they are the distributor yet incapable of doing just that. The only time they are efficient is when it comes to billing and imposing late payment penalties. In that regard they are world leaders. A sorry bunch that would go to the wall in a heartbeat were there any competition involved. Rant over.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Well I think that was a fault somewhere. A synchronization switch problem would not cause an hour and a half outage. You only to have a look at the power poles to see how well these things are engineered and lord knows when proper maintenance is performed on the main grid. Wait till it breaks seems to be the rule here and that applies to just about everything including vehicles big or small. All quite normal for a third world country.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+

Barry FYI, this pic may help you focus your frustration on the proper party that is responsible (ref. Rye’s post). The utility is NORECO II and the grid, from which the NORECO utility purchases the power, is NGCP. In this most recent shutdown you need to give NORECO II, of whom we are members, a pass. There are right of way negotiations for the 69KV grid lines going on causing NORECO II to have to keep finding ways to serve Dauin, Siaton and Zamboangita. I suppose that was bad planning on the part if NGCP. Today it looks like they shut down our substation in Bagacay. The shutdown today was only about 30 minutes but it was to feed Siaton and Zambo who won’t be fully connected until tomorrow noon at latest. Then they will probably shut down the feeder(s) to our area again when one of the feeders we are loading for Dauin-Zambo is replaced with power from with a feeder from Bayawan. And poor NORECO II is just trying to keep its members energized and happy lol.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It shows a lack of understanding of the electrical grid to blame NORECO for every single brownout. Yeah, a lot of the brownouts are their fault but these major ones tend to be on NGCP. NGCP is not NORECO. I'm not upset, just pointing it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    As far as I know the problem is with NGCP (the power transmission people).
    I would have hoped they would learn from their experience a few years ago. But here we are again.
    On one hand this is very inconvenient but on the other hand. Good for the little guy poking Goliath in the eye with a pointy stick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    i can only assume that some Noreco employee was flicking or unflicking the wrong switch, if that is the case

One of the problems that NORECO/NGCP have is the age of their control system(s). When there is a need to switch providers the supplies have to be synchronised before it can be switched over. (Synchronisation of the line frequency in Hz to within predefined limits). If they do not have automatic synchronisation equipment then it needs to be done manually which can be time consuming and a little hit & miss depending on the experience of the operative. If they don't hit the synchronisation and try to switch the system will trip - resulting in a power transmission failure. This only takes minutes to reset - i.e. flick a switch - hence the occasional short power outage.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    Ours went off around 9.30pm, came back for about 2 seconds at 9.45pm ( that's the real appliance killer :arghh:) then fully back around 11.30pm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Here we go again! Into our second brownout tonight (Sunday). Who will Noreco pass the buck to this time lol!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    They must have done it again last night. Brownout. 9: 00 pm to 10:30 pm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    3 brownouts today and and counting.

• Informative Informative x 2