Blood Type:
    A+
    upload_2021-3-28_5-57-50.png

• Informative Informative x 6
  2. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    I got this forwarded attachment by PLDT, so Filproducts also. So it looks like it's going to be crappy until the 30th.

86D5BEF4-A0B6-415A-A68C-D8044F1596FA.png

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    If you can try re-booting your router from a pc. I have PLDT and usually works for me. Used to have FilProduct and did the same then. You should be able to access your router via https://192.168.1.1, as most providers use this IP for their routers. That will take you to a login page, which you can access to do various management things, provided you have the login details.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I did some tests just now because my PLDT connection feels really sluggish again.

Speed tests to Manila and Cebu City yield similarly weird results - 50MBps download speed, about 30MBps upload, both above what I actually pay for.

However, the latency (ping) is at least an order of magnitude higher than usual - 400ms to Manila, 200ms to Cebu City. That means, your click on a link on some website hosted in Manila takes nearly half second to register on the other end, and it takes another half second before the server's response arrives on your screen. Usually, that latency is about 300ms for connections to europe, but below 20ms for domestic connections.

What this means is that all interactive stuff like surfing the web feels unbearably slow, but your Netflix Stream works fine once it's running (because the overall bandwidth is there). They're either routing data through a whole lot of hoops currently, probably around areas where stuff is broken, possibly even using air links or international connections and/or something in their infrastructure is seriously broken.

Interesting also that Smart mobile data seems to be unaffected by this, I got 148MBps down / 6MBps up with 142ms latency to Manila and 80/16 with 35ms to Cebu City.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    Hi Edward, the printer if it supports wireless will likely be 2.4GHz only which would explain why you need to switch back to other band to print.

Some of the PLDT and Globe routers will have both 5GHz and 2.4Ghz broadcasting by default and that is a good thing when used properly. Rule of thumb 5GHz less effected by Wi-Fi interference and better for short range higher bandwidth, same room as router streaming or gaming for example. 2.4GHz is often congested if you live near a lot of other people with routers (apartments) but will give you better range, far end of the house or outside etc. This might explain the different speeds you get depending on the band your on.

Note its 5GHz Wif-Fi, related to the frequency it uses and not to be confused with 5G like the cellular technology not yet in Dumaguete.

A good app for your phone (Android) to check all this is "WiFi Overview 360" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.android.wifiscanner&hl=en&gl=US
    Free version has lots of handy tools and can help map out a house and decide where you need extra hops/hubs etc, great for new houses or new equipment. Also has a great tool to see the other peoples networks and the channels they are using for their 2.4GHz bands and 5GHz and suggests what to change yours to to get the least amount of interference. Most routers are automatic but are easily changed in the admin page and you cant really make a mistake.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The speed within the Philippines is meaningless since 99.99% of the internet is not on Philippine servers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    For some reason, today, wednesday, was worse than sun / mon. Really bad, almost as bad as last wednesday

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    It is common to have fast speeds in the Phils and Hong Kong but to have slow speeds to the US or Europe. The Ookla test is probably to a server here in the Phils. The slow Speedcheck is probably to the US or Europe. Did you see an option to choose the location of the server you are connecting to?

Most large Internet companies host their servers numerous places around the world. So getting the information is fast no matter where people are located. I would think that Yahoo is still large enough to do this and they would have their data replicated to Hong Kong.

Are you using a VPN to another country? In this case your traffic would have to go to that country first before getting your email data from a Yahoo server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    Same here for FilProducts all weekend, intermittent off and on connection and slow speeds. Coupled with no water today...this place is consistently inconsistent.

• Agree Agree x 2