Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances Best Posts in Thread: MICROWAVE OVEN

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    How to repair a microwave door spring mechanism (taking care not to allow leakage from the microwave): I couldn't see any GE models but when I chose the new microwave I decided I could now take the risk of trying to repair my old microwave instead of splashing out 4 to 5k, as I was going to throw it out anyway. Also, looking at the microwaves in the stores, it was obvious the problem was inside the door. The plastic insert around the inner door flicked out easily and I had access to the mechanism inside - I found a broken attachment for the lower part of a spring (the original attachment they put in was metal but very flimsy). I needed something strong but tapering and so used the nozzle from a white glue container and strengthened it with a small wooden dowel rammed inside. (Any similar nozzle would do) - I cut it down (gradually) to fit, glued it in place and then put the spring loop on it. To hold the spring loop in place I used one of the ring-like pieces I cut off the nozzle earlier and glued that on. I replaced the door's plastic insert and the door now closes perfectly.

Having written this I must point out that radiation leaks from microwaves are dangerous (as I am sure everyone knows) and so repair them with caution. There is a time to throw away a microwave and buy a new one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    A friend of mine was burned by a microwave oven. The seal was bad and the microwave was making funny noises. This was on a boat and the microwave was mounted low. He would lean against the hinge side of the door to look at gauges that were mounted in the panel behind and above the microwave. This was for relatively brief time periods while the microwave was heating his coffee.

He developed a red streak on his abdomen that matched the profile of the microwave oven where he leaned against it. It began to hurt on the inside. He went to go see doctor. I do not remember what happen next.

• Informative Informative x 2