Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: For the anti vaxers and vaxers

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Yes, many Filipinos are very wary of being vaccinated because of the Dengue vaccine issue.

I read the articles - the one by Dr Bossche is quite heavy going (and I read it at midnight) - and I can see what he is getting at. However, his alternative solution is stated by the reviewers as having no evidence to back it up.

Although I am a virologist I am out of the game now and so take an interest in the current pandemic but don't read many articles - it will be like the 'salt is good/salt is bad/salt is good/salt is bad' charades we have all been through (and we can substitute many other products for 'salt' in that).

If the virus gets near the point of wiping out the human race (and how much better our planet would be!) it will be self-limiting. The chances of total devastation from THIS virus is very low - unless it combines with another virus possessing certain qualities!

A piece of evidence we have is that highly vaccinated countries (e.g. UK) appear to be having some resurgence but at a much lower rate than before vaccination. So having a highly-vaccinated population but still remaining cautious seems the best way forward. Controversial I know, BUT... it means vaccinating the World.

I am waiting before being vaccinated to see if any side-effects arise in the longer term!

• Like Like x 7
  2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    Every year people succumb to the Flu and every year a high number of people recieve their flu injections.
    This of course does not always prevent one getting flu, but we are led to believe that it reduces the effects and risks that flu can cause.
    There are I'm told, various strains of flu so does that mean there's no point in having the flu jab?
    Point being that Covid 19 will be around for a long time, variants will appear as of now and we will play catch up, just like with flu.
    Having had my two injections now, I can't see that will stop me at some point falling foul to Covid but a least I would like to think it will be less severe for having had my injections......there are certainly a lot more things happening in the world more fatal to the future of the human race.
    Just my thoughts on the matter, Stay safe prevention is better than cure.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    I operate under the old principle that you have to get while the getting is good. Returning to the US is going to an epicenter still, expensive, and higher chances of getting the virus in transit too. Staying put in a low population density area with not that many case and taking the offered jab makes sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    Yes you could, and bl***y expensive too. £1750 for government accommodation, plus food, plus the requisite testing. I'll just stay here and hide in the hills

• Like Like x 3
  5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I asked Jack Sh*t if it is safe to take the vaccine. He said he doesn’t know. I heard my barangay is suppose to come by tomorrow to see who wants the vaccine. Given I don’t have much left that can go wrong, I will take it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Today I received my first shot in Bacong. I'll be looking forward to my next shot in about a month.
    Sinovac was on the menu. The clinical trials were not stellar but in Indonesia they found it 97% in preventing serious reaction requiring hospitalization. The study was done on front line workers.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    The Chinese vaccines may require a third shot and only be effective for 6 months. They are not as effective as the mRNA vaccines.

The Washington Post reported that Chinese health professionals have admitted that the vaccines’ protection may not go beyond six months. In addition, people who have a higher risk of catching the deadly disease might need to get the third jab.

Head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention George Gao last month said the efficacy of Chinese vaccines is “not high.”

He added that Beijing was “formally considering” possibilities to “solve the problem that the efficacy of the existing vaccines is not high,” including changing or increasing individual doses.

China has since censored Gao’s remarks, writing them off as “hyped up.”

Sinopharm and Sinovac vaccines are easier to make compared to others as they contain inactivated coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. One disadvantage is that the protection they provide is weaker compared to mRNA-based vaccines such as Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna which mainly target the spike protein, COVID-19’s key element.

A trial data coming from Brazil stated that the Sinovac vaccine only has an efficacy rate of 50 percent, while Sinopharm claims its product goes up to 79 percent but full data have yet to be shown to the public.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/othe...as-health-experts-admit/ar-AAKpRZ0?li=BBr8Mkn

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I find it wonderful that you have that option. Here in Kuwait, their citizens are not allowed to exit the country without being vaccinated, but can return, even without a vaccine. Expats are allowed to leave, but cannot return or enter the country for the foreseeable future, indefinite by their government's wording.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1