Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: MECQ, it was only a matter of time.

1. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    One thing that just really gets me is when people continue to spew this tired old meme of "99.9% have nothing more than a runny nose". Maybe you were just being hyperbolically sarcastic, but some will read that and think it's true. It is NOT.

The current case fatality rate in the Philippines is 2% (NOT 0.1%, you are low by a factor of 20X). AND ... 33% of positive covid patients, even if they don't die, end up with "long haul" symptoms including chronic fatigue, respiratory problems, brain fog, and liver and heart problems.

Nobody should be dismissing covid as "just the flu".

I know what you will say, so here:
    https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-n...id-19-patients-regardless-of-severity/2021/03

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    You know yourself, if anything needs to be done these people will make a simple matter into the most illogical, complicated, drawn out. incomprehensible piece of riff raff anyone has ever seen to prove how "Smart" they are..

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    This is an important point about confusion - not knowing which level of quarantine people are in because of using ECQ, MECQ, GCQ etc! Reminds me of GCHQ (UK spy base - but shhhh, it's a secret) and GCSE (a UK exam system for schools). Why not use 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. or colours (white, amber, green, red, etc. ?). Why (as in road markings recently discussed on another thread) have the most complex system for a country where the grey cells already struggle?

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    The "checkpoint" today consisted of two people watching the traffic flow by. Asking nicely in stores where they know you usually also helps with the liquor ban issue.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Checkpoint at Dgte south highway now, .take out only on blvd, liquor ban enforced

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    We were in Robinsons yesterday with full PPE, i lifted my visor to put on my reading glasses so i could see the expiration date on the bread i was buying as we have been caught out a few times recently, one time even with an item from a pharmacy but that's off topic and a different story, within seconds a guard was on me, sir can you wear your visor properly, i did not bother to explain to him my reason for lifting it so complied and moved on.
    It was then i noticed a lot of the guards carrying things like overgrown table tennis bats with a warning on them regarding wearing PPE in a proper fashion.
    Truly too little too late as the shop was crowded, no social distancing and not enough checkouts operating so queues.
    I if i had a vote i would vote that they go back to the system of only allowing people into these places on certain days depending on the area they lived in.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    One can recognize the need for prudent protection from a clear and present threat without requiring the experience of shaking in your boots fear.

It is not the main stream media that is pushing this, in fact, I think MSM is way under-reporting on this issue. It is the medical journals and medical news sources that are providing the information on long covid. There actually are, in fact, two main hypothesis. One is that the covid RNA produces permanent genetic changes that results in some cells of the body continuing to express covid spike antigens on their surfaces. The other is that the covid virus hides in reservoirs in the body where it escapes immune detection, similar to the way shingles and herpes virus does.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-long-haul-symptoms-may-be-caused-by-changes-in-genes
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...th/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41592-021-01145-z
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...vid-long-haulers-long-term-effects-of-covid19
    https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...-6-months-post-infection-with-long-COVID.aspx

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This is the issue. Many here live day to day. Take their P100-P300 per day salary away and they, along with their families, starve. It's easy to say that lockdowns are the right move when you know where your next meal comes from and you are financially secure.

My major concern is gyms closing, which it looks like they will...but whatever, I'm dropping 40k+ on a home gym setup and it will save me money in the long run. I eat more protein and calories per day than a poor Filipino family of 5 would eat. This won't effect me in any meaningful way, I'll leave the politics of this nonsense to the locals. They know much better than I do what their needs are. If they start dying from starvation because their government can't support them during this/these lockdown I suspect they will deal with it appropriately.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,989 / 1,090
    If they do not enforce it in full and start finings, scooter confiscations, 2nd and 3rd offence fines...... its just a farce. More chance in seeing a D0Do bird walking up the middle of the road than seeing compliance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    It was said on the Forum that cases will now explode! And they have.

I am not sure it was politically motivated for the benefit of a few individuals - it is possible they took a risk based on the decimation of the economy generally. They were 'between a rock and a hard place'. That risk was 100% bound to fail - they were even told that by Octa Research.

Also, I am not sure of the quality of the advisors generally - some odd decisions have been made over the last 18 months.

Now the safety that the islands provided has been wrecked.

I have always been a fan of face masks and disputed those who were negative - I still think that if they enforced it (indoors and out) generally (Filipinos still walk around compounds without them and mask-less kids roam in packs within cities) they could go some way towards breaking the chain. Too many people still see masks as an inconvenience and not a potential life-saver - and education on their proper use is inadequate. They help prevent spread from infected individuals and protect the uninfected (a point so many seem to dispute). Face shields do have added value - but not as a replacement for a mask (double mask if the person feels particularly vulnerable).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1