Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Fishing Service?

1. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I can tell you there is no charter for fishing in Dumaguete area and I think in all Negros Oriental. Most sport fishing in this area is jigging in 100-300 m deep, it's not for a novice, you need learn the technique for slow or fast jigging, equipment is not in the cheap end at least 10 k + for a starter or second-hand equipment. I will not be in a discussion about fishing in this area or in general but only want to share 2 options for fishing in this area maybe someone can use it. At Highland resort in Mabinay ( you can google it) you can catch snakehead in a lake, a nice place for a picnic, just remember some stuff for mosquito f#@k off. Another option is to rent a boatsman with a banka, it's not for everyone, no comfort, maybe you sit on a bamboo stick for hours or get a wet @ss in the bottom of the boat. I have been at Santa Catalina hiring a boatsman fishing dorado and other fish if you are interested pm me I have the phone number for the boatsman. You can go on YouTube, search for Mike Alano and watch videos from both the lake in Mabinay and from Santa Catalina and other places, also local area, most of the time he is going out from Sibulan. He is a really nice guy both don't have that much time for fishing anymore that he is the owner of Subida souvenirs an expanding business until covid make its entre in Negros, no tourists, as I'm sure you know. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer you, but I'm not a professional, I just like to stay out on the sea and why not go fishing same time

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    If you can buy your own 2 poles, tackle and bait there are plenty of trust-worthy Natives with Fishing boats that would take yah out for a day (do not expect big fish) You have to go deep as mentioned above, or fresh water at the in-land lakes for larger Talapia. (Twin Lakes allows Fishing)
    - If you find a Native guide with a boat to take you out, insure Filipino Families close to you with your interests and safety in mind to give reference's. Go out only on a clear day (check weather forecast) and ensure your Son is wearing a life Jacket. I myself have a great guide that takes me out diving in a Native boat that I trust fully. (200 peso per hour) which is a great deal for me compared to the rest. He fish's as I dive. I also have deeper Sea fishing gear but it is much too much for a youngster to master. My pole alone is 10 foot and my reel is 9 inch spin-cast with 50lb line. Let us know how it pans out and what fish yah get. Best hopes that you and your Son get out there.

Perhaps message this Fella on Facebook in Dumaguete. He may be of great help.
    https://www.facebook.com/perrymullerfishing/

-Now, I have met up with 2 expats on this Forum and both Members were a pleasure to have met and both I would meet up again with as the pleasure was mine. Having said that.... if your caught between a rock and a hard place I can take my reel off of the rod and you and I would than fish a river in Tanjay (off a bridge) 100 yards from my Compound. I would teach him on my reel and supply the tackle free of coarse, show him some fishing knots also. You would have to bring only 25 young small Prawns (2 inches in length max) fresh of coarse and we will spend a few hours in the shade Fishing off the one reel. He'll get a fix and you and I will meet. I offer that as I know your Son may not want to wait. Message me and I would easily oblige any day you would like.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I'm interested to know how this works out, please post what happened and if you found someone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    You mentioned correctly. Small Shrimp, spinners or Lure's. The odd toss back Puffer Fish and many Coral types but what the Locals are after is the Lapu-Lapu Fish, largest heard caught was 5 kilo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Your son is a lucky boy...

• Like Like x 2
  6. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    My 10-yr son is hot to go fishing for a day, but I have no equipment nor local knowledge. Is there any business in/around Dumaguete that would arrange us a boat, provide a knowledgeable boatman, rent us the rods & bait, for an expedition of 6 hours or so...? Thanks in-advance!

• Like Like x 2