Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: F-35Bs…West Philippine Sea

1. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Excuse my common sense approach in these matters, but all out war with conventional and/or nuclear weapons between major world powers seems to me to be something none of us should wish for, and also something none of these countries will actually engage in.
    Sanctions, sure. Covert actions like cyber warfare, sure. Bombs and rockets, no way.
    Don't make the mistake of comparing today's nuclear bombs with Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Devastating as they were, they're like baby toys compared to the destructive power of today's nukes. I assume none of you proponents of obliterating China remembers how large swaths of Europe couldn't harvest vegetables in the wake of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 because of fall out / radiated dust clouds, or more recently, how many people were displaced in Japan after the Fukushima meltdown, or longer ago, how the USA narrowly escaped disaster at Three Mile Island in 1979.
    Please, let's keep everyone's toys in the pram, much safer.
    Yes, China is on a long term path of exerting more influence on the world stage; their nine dash line claims in the South China Sea are only one venture on that path; the Belt and Road Initiative represents countless other attempts.
    While the former is indeed breaching international law and as such should draw strong reactions from the international community, the latter is in many ways comparable with the Marshall plan after WW2, in the sense that the USA gained strong allied ties in return for their help to a devastated Europe after the war, and China is merely trying to achieve something similar now.
    So no, their efforts are in no way selfless, and the West may be watching with trepidation, but to expect the most populous nation on the planet to keep looking inward as their economy is on the verge of overtaking the USA seems naive.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I am also puzzled why the free world allows Iran to attack shipping with minor consequences. They have 4 middle-size ports and 1 very major one. So tell them in advance that if they attack another ship the free world destroys one middle size port, then the next time (or if any retaliation) the other three middle size ports and then the one major port. If they want to keep going then their airfields and other infrastructure. But instead the free world allows them to do as they please.

Surely everyone here has met a bully at some time in their life - and it is so obvious they don't stop until faced with consequences. Twice in my life I have given threats to bullies, not actions (apart from a swift kick in one bully's shin) and on both occasions the bullying stopped immediately (one was a very serious case and against some very vulnerable people
    - one text (he lived far from me) told that bully of the consequences and he stopped immediately and that text was a risk to me in its contents). You will never stop bullies (individuals or States) by accepting their behaviour just because it might have consequences - that is exactly what they depend on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    SIPR is the Secret network the military/government uses. JWICS is the Top Secret network. There are other networks like CENTRIX used to share classified information between NATO/partner countries. None of these networks are accessable via regular computers. A special version of windows must be flashed onto a computer for it to even have the possibility to access a given network. Obviously, this version of windows is next to impossible to get your hands on. If you had that you would then need to find a hardline to the network (such as a military base) as the ministry strictly forbids wifi on these networks and then convince a network admin to give that computer access (it would probably be easier for a foreign country to hack a military satellite)...then you have to deal with the information being compartmentalized within those networks. There are probably only a handful of people in the world that have access to every piece of classified information across all these networks, access to the networks alone wouldn't get you very much. The Manning incident really caused the government to crack down on who they give access to these networks and what data they are allowed to extract from them.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I read he intends to run again in 2024 - and who would bet against him winning! :(

This would be the ideal - it is impossible not to feel sorry for the brainwashed NK people and just imagine what a country a united Korea would be. The worry is whether Kim-the-haircut (or his crazy sis) take down the temple with them or the Chinese decide to move into NK rather than have a united Korea on their borders.

I think those living between just after WW2 and to this point (plus a little beyond ) have maybe had the best of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind ( Mahatma Gandhi )
    What man can't do, nature will do for us and that will be to unite this world in a final fight for survival.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Now a German warship is sailing in. At last the free world is taking action against the bully. In any provocative action by the Chinese their two aircraft carriers should be sunk. Should a war pursue then it would be the inevitable coming sooner than later. They might stop in their tracks when facing massive destruction if they further retaliate. The free world can afford to use at least 1000 nukes I guess if necessary (and still retain a sufficient deterrent to Russia, NK, Iran and others) . At last the chains will have been put on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  8. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    India announced yesterday its sending a Naval Task Force to the South China Sea. The Indians will train with the Philippine navy. The F-35Bs in the photo might be British.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Hope US creates an artificial Island so when we exit we can swim there to get our Passport stamped and swim back the next day to re-enter for another 3 years as per Tourist Visa.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2