Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Breakthrough Covid

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    IMHO, the flu will always be here, of varying seriousness, with varying names. Over the years, we will hopefully learn to deal with it, as we have all "flu's." This one is very new, so people are not yet developing natural immunity, plus it is mutating into more serious stuff. We know this one is bad, it's killed huge numbers of people, the numbers are debatable. All we do know is that UN-vaccinated people are being hospitalized and dying more, althou again numbers are debatable.

I'm guessing in a year or two, they will make a multi strain vax like they do now, maybe slip a covid vax into it to avoid the anti-life crazies. It WILL be an annual thing, like now. I know that we will have to figure out some way to avoid "lockdowns," otherwise, economies the world over will collapse.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    It seems the situation is getting bad worldwide but the vaccinated are doing better (at the moment). The Philippines is running out of nurses (where the lowest pay is in private hospitals!) and Iran is entering its fifth wave. On the plus side, there are antibody treatments being introduced and a few more drug trials. The world really needs to pull together on this one as this virus is not going away anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Received my first dose of AZ earlier today in Valencia at the main gymnasium. Next dose scheduled November 26th. Not feeling much of anything yet, not even a sore arm.

• Like Like x 4
  4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    There appears to be a pattern that the people who receive the more effective vaccines often have mild reactions whereas those who have had Sinovac have had no reactions at all.

Having had Sinovac with no reaction, I am looking forward to a booster of another brand.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No there isn't. If someone is a racist POS and expresses that publicly they should expect immediate consequences from their peers, employers and society. There are consequences for our actions. No judge or jury is required for punishment from our communities. "Freedom" does not equal freedom from consequence. You have the freedom to be a complete @ss and society has the right to fire you and tell you to f*ck off for being a tw@t.

I think hospitals that are nearing capacity should be turning away or kicking covid patients out of bed for those that have been offered an FDA approved vaccine and refused it. Let them die on the steps of the hospital. Eventually we will run out of people that are stupid enough to believe these are crisis actors. The same way they don't prioritize alcoholics for liver transplants.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Plagues caused by various forms of Yersinia pestis decimated the world in the past (possibly killing up to 60% of Europe's population) but now are very rare. These is a difference from Covid in that Yersinias are bacteria and so can be treated by antibiotics, thus helping to control outbreaks.

No one knows the long-term future for Covid-19 or its variants - we only guess. It will be around for a while as vaccinating the world will take some time but, perhaps like Yersinia and influenza, it may cross species and then re-emerge into the human population in the future as sporadic outbreaks (by which time there should be better vaccines and possibly anti-viral drugs to control it). There is also the possibility that mutants could weaken and it dies out naturally. Until we see what happens over the next few years, we can only make guesses.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  7. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    My wife and her brothers (age range 38 to 22 - no comorbidities) went to our local vaccination centre and all received the one-shot Janssen vac. Just call your local health centre and find out when/where they're doing it and what they're using.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Drop by the vaccination center later in the day. I understand that some of the vaccination centers outside of Dumaguete will vaccinate walk-ins with the vaccine that they have remaining for the day. If Valencia has closed the large vaccination center then go to the health office.

As I understand, many of the BPOs have already had their employees vaccinated. Here is a BPO in Valencia reporting their first dose. You can see the poster in back stating that the ICT industry has a special vaccination schedule.

Officially the general population starts next month.
    https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/nati...-next-month-says-galvez/ar-AAOkf7C?li=BBr8Mkn

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    Best Answer
    I'm afraid your argument is shallow and ill conceived. Long covid is real. You cannot deny long covid risk by seizing on a word, and twisting the meaning. And yes she DOES get to assess the risk for someone your age living in the UK. Her assessment as a pro is infinitely better than yours would ever be, even though different pros vary. She is interested in kids in the UK, advocating for policies to protect them.
    Your use of the term "force" is false. [Coercion - the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.] You agreed to business. Travel, gatherings, dining, - any spreading event, small or large - can be limited in a contagion. There is NO RIGHT to increase the risk of harm or death to others, therefore unvaxxed folks can be limited. You chose vaxx for whatever reason, but we live on a social compact in the US. The rights of the individual do not supersede the rights of others in a pandemic. That has always been true historically . Anyone who doesn't realize that certain rights can be limited by necessity in time of war, social upheaval, and pestilence needs to read up on that. Rights don't disappear, but they can be severely limited with a showing of necessity. Here's something to look at with a link:

IV.IMPLICATIONS OF EXPANDED EXECUTIVE POWERS ON PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCIES

V.CONCLUSION –THE PRINCIPLE OF NECESSITY AS A GLOSS ON EXECUTIVE POWERS It is obvious and unarguable that no governmental interest is more compelling than the security of the Nation.392The authority for the President to act immediately in response to an emergency arises out of the principle of necessity.393―[A] military commander should be able to use available resources to alleviate human suffering, without first requiring a bureaucratic permission slip.‖394As stated previously, necessity is a prerequisite for presidential action.395According to Thomas Jefferson, the laws of necessity or even those of self-preservation, which necessitate the immediate action to preserve the safety of our country when in danger, are of the highest obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means. . . . The officer who is called to act on this superior ground, does indeed risk himself on the justice of the controlling powers of the Constitution, and his station makes it his duty to incur that risk. . . . The line of discrimination between cases may be difficult; but the good officer bound to draw it at his own peril, and throw himself on the justice of his country and the rectitude of his motives.396Jefferson recognized the concept of necessity as a by-product of self-preservation.397Without necessity, there is a heightened potential for the abuse of presidential authority.398Chief Justice Stone in Kahanamoku directed that ―[the] executive has broad discretion in determining when the public emergency is such as to give rise to the necessity.‖399The determination that an emergency exists is a decision exclusively resting with the President.400…

…Despite its reservations, the Court has dismissed any possibility of ―executive tyranny‖404in the existence of a showing of necessity. ―Any ambiguities in the allocation of a power that is executive in nature . . . must be resolved in favor of the executive branch.‖405Any individual who acts on the principle of necessity in an emergency scenario is presumed to act in the interest of the populace rather than in furtherance of his own ambitions.40…

https://www.law.csuohio.edu/sites/d...s/jlh/friedman_final_version_of_article-2.pdf

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't "support" libel against them. I care as much about the wealthy being defamed as I do anyone else, which is not much. The guy has enough wealth to file a defamation cases against every single person making and spreading the false information, he did not. Am I supposed to be offended for him and start litigation on his behalf?

You are avoiding the point I was making about people who are ACTUALLY caught being horrible people and getting "cancelled". You twisted the argument into something completely different to avoid addressing it.

I've made it very clear that everyone has the freedom to make their own choice but there are consequences for those choices. I've also clearly stated I can accept the consequences for my own choices.

I'm not in a priority group that is being offered a vaccine here. I have looked into other ways but they are also not yet available. Currently, traveling out of the province is risky and expensive. If they told me I could return I would leave the Philippines and get a vaccine. I won't risk being stuck in the US or a foreign country and not know if I would be able to return for years.

It should be available to all but it should be prioritize when resources are in short supply. (And no matter how much you want to ignore it, that is the way it currently works.)

Anyone can be accused of anything without a trial. A trial is used to determine if those accusations are true. This is a right and the standard for governments to take action against the people. This is not the standard for private entities. Your employer does not need to take you before a judge to fire you for violating company policy. A restaurant can kick out and ban someone for causing disturbances without a trial.

You are arguing in bad faith and not even trying to comprehend what others are saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1