Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Wtb stationary bike.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm not saying they don't work. I'm saying they don't work better than any other calorie restricted diet. I can lose just as much weight on chips and Twinkies as I could on keto or carnivore when calories are matched. What macro nutrients you choose to consume (or not consume) makes no difference, a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss.

Not saying that. He makes money selling a specific diet. For $14/month he will tell you how to not eat carbs. He is extremely biased. Almost every influencer/celebrity/doctor on the internet heavily promoting a certain diet is trying to sell you something. They don't make as much money by being honest and telling people that calorie restriction on any nutrition plan will result in the same weight loss in the long term.

People want short cuts and "hacks" to weight loss. The weight loss industry over the last half century has conditioned people to believe that cutting out certain foods or macros is the magic cure to obesity and health. It is not. Calorie restriction is. Which, btw, every single one of these diets, and every other diet that has ever existed, requires to lose weight. No diet breaks the laws of physics.

Just a personal opinion here; if a diet requires you pay a doctor for guidance it is probably not safe for the average person to attempt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    A caloric deficit is good for losing weight. Keto can be good for diabetics, people that have seizures and losing a lot of water weight in the first month. Other than that there is absolutely no benefit to a keto diet. It is also incredibly hard to be consistent with, which is everything when it comes to diet.

Intermittent fasting is good for those with a low TDEE that want to fight off hunger. Other than that there is little to no benefit.

Flexible dieting (or iifym) is the most sustainable and natural approach. It is an inclusive diet, as opposed to a restrictive one like keto. Nothing is off limits, everything in moderation.

Exercise helps you raise your daily energy expenditure (TDEE) by a couple hundred calories every day you do it (which is erased by a couple beers), but not a replacement for a caloric deficit. Adding muscle mass (through lifting, not cardio), is the best way to raise your TDEE as muscle is a metabolically expensive tissue for the body to maintain.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Libra

Libra DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +40 / 20
    Hi Barry, intermittent fasting and a Keto diet (see YouTube) is effective for losing weight, but only using a stationary bike is not. Best wishes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I would add to what's already been said, that any "loose weight quick diet", is quite likely very very difficult to keep adhering to long term, and is therefore not a recommended way to improve your health.
    Much better is to eat healthy, eat less, get off your @ss and exercise, drink water rather than alcohol or soda, in other words, change your lifestyle.
    Most "avoid this, take loads of that" approaches are nothing but a shortcut to more problems than you started with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm all for a high protein diet, I'm on one myself, but cutting out all carbs is an extreme and completely unnecessary measure. Unless you have some type of medical condition there really is no reason for it. If you are somewhat lean (between 10-18% body fat) 1 gram of protein per pound (2.2 grams per kg) of bodyweight. If you are overweight or obese 1 gram of protein per cm of height is a good starting point. More if you are older as protein synthesis declines as you age. Adjust carb and fat intake to your lifestyle and energy requirements.

You mention health concerns on an extremely restrictive diet. I agree 100% and that was my point. Things like the carnivore diet are just as risky as a 711/Twinkie diet for becoming malnourished. You would need a nutritionist or doctor to guide you to foods that contain the proper micronutrients while avoiding hypervitaminosis. You can't just gobble down chicken livers to get your vitamin C in. You will OD on vitamin A and destroy your liver in the process. It is also a very expensive diet. Not only would you spend a sh*t ton of money on meat but you would also break the bank on supplements...which are not as efficient as natural sources of vitamins found in fruits and vegetables (carbs). We are not carnivores, we are omnivores. Trying to eat like a carnivore is likely to result in health problems. A balanced diet of protein, fats and carbs is pretty fool proof....and there are a lot of fools trying to lose weight.

The thermal effect of protein is usually quoted at 30%. Carbs at 10%. Fats at 0-3%.

One should not try to take this into account while dieting though. Not all proteins, carbs or fats are created equally. Whey protein powder gets absorbed quickly while casein protein powder or chicken breast is much slower to digest. Refined sugars take next to no energy to digest while fruit and vegetables do. Olive oil will take less energy to digest that a chunk of fat from a steak. I'm sure there are differences between individual digestion efficiency as well. It would be misguided for a person to think that "I'm eating protein so I can eat 30% more calories now." Protein also usually comes with fat, especially if you want to enjoy eating. The low thermal effect of fat (and there will be a lot of it if you cut out carbs) is going to even out the higher thermal effect of the protein. I think the averaged thermal effect for any diet is going to float around 10 to 15%.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +996 / 82
    Keep lookin here, sure some expat headed out doesn't want to carry one back to their home country.
    We got our stationary bike at Toby's, 2nd floor robinsons, four years ago.

Weight: we are both within 25 pounds of our weight in college (in our 60's). Secret is simple; eat less, only twice a day, only one heavy meal. B'fast is cereal or eggs, 1/2 rice if tocino or tapas or bangus, pancakes, once a week. Some bagels or scones.
    Carbo's; less than 4 times a week; rice, potatoes
    Sugars; the WORST; Soda, once a week; IceCream, once a month, Cheesecake, twice a month, cookies, once a week.
    Salt; careful, esp if you have heart problems. Chips, once a week, usually cheat at twice, especially since Blairs carries a UK handcooked brand.
    Chicken, once or twice a week, meat, once a week, pizza, three a month, etc
    EVERYTHING in moderation, walking / exercise daily.... got vaxx'd 4 months ago, will get booster when avail. Mask religiously.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    Oh, I agree, that's what all the advice says, and that does work, no doubt. But this really isn't my way, it's a combination, plus yielding to practicalities. What you are saying is the standard advice, and I know the cautions. When I average out, I'm doing ~1200 calories a day, which is fine. I do some mild exercise, but I'm not building yet. I keep records of my fasting weight and blood sugar. My blood sugar is fine.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    My wife won't let me cook. Odd thing, but she considers that "hers". So I made things simple for her, took myself down to 1000 calories a day. About every 7 to 10 days I raise the calories for 2 days, 800 and 500, respectively. This is to "fool the body" out of going into starvation mode, then back down. I have limited options here. To raise my calories I use cheese and something sweet. It keeps my blood sugars in line. This makes the meals the same, easier on the wife. I'm in the slow loss now, getting close to second goal. I'm not suggesting this to anyone as YMMV. I just had to deal and this, though rough at times, worked for me. I have trouble if the scale or blood sugars don't show success, so this is an evolved diet working within limitations and my psychology.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1