Dumaguete Info Search

7,000 Jobs in Dumaguete??!!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Knowdafish, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Totally agree with this statement. Many teaching manuals in use are written by those who have done poor research and are littered with errors. The teachers, fearful of losing their jobs, continue to teach what is in the pamphlet, knowing that it is incorrect, rather than criticise the education authorities. It's an on-going battle to try and convince some "educators" that Thomas Jefferson was not the first president of the United States !!!

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    mmmmmmmmm So why? are ALL legal forms and most other written things receipts and the like, written in English, Even, (as we know from another thread) a driving license, has to be in English

JP

3. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now, now. Are you sure about your blanket statement about "ALL legal forms" being written in English?

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Those that matter most certainly!

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

None of those countries lays claim to English as an official language, nor promotes them self as being the third largest English speaking country in the world.

The 1987 Philippine constitution makes Filipino and English official languages, and Philippine based companies sell their services using the claim that the spoken English here is widespread and terrific.

Larry

6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I did not realize until recently that the majority of teachers in private schools are not that well qualified,some do not even have a teaching degree! Apparently it is only required in any public school!
    Also how many times have you been given a bill which was wrong in a bar or resto and even after watching them add it up with a calculator and when you question it, it takes around three or four of them to sort it out.
    Our local sari store is the same and I usually order the same 2-3 times a week or more but again the calculator comes out! Kids at school are allowed to use them from an early age it seems so what chance of they got for basic maths in their head!
    There are also so many bribes from parents to the teachers to get the kids higher marks in the exams and again this does not do the kids education any good. It's all about keeping face and having your kid have the best results, never mind what the kids learn.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've taken quite a few of the call center girls out and I have to say that all of them spoke better english than the average girl working in a bar, sarisari store or grocery store. Not saying they have mastered the english language but certainly more educated with the language. I'm sure that's not the case for all, but from calling call centers they are not as bad, as say, India or Pakistan. I have gotten some seriously bad attitudes from American call centers as well. Never once from a filipino call center.

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And Btw, take a look at most Facebook pages of young Americans......that, my friends, is some of the most p*ss poor english I have ever read.

9. joseph domaille

joseph domaille DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a friend (a pome) he is a retired head master from London . In his younger days he taught english only . He became bored here so he offered his services to some schools here ( for free )stating he could help teachers and students with their english, he was told no sorry we only teach American not British english. thank christ he did not want to teach aussie english lol.

10. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Most people prefer to complain about other people, or like here, we criticize the poor, ill educated Filipinos/Filipinas, that we have so much trouble to communicate with in proper English, but I have not seen any comment about "we" the foreigner, learning the local language. I can remember the insulting remarks when a Immigrant in our Home Country refused to learn our own language...