Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Does the Philippines suffer from water shortages?

1. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    we get our water tested every 6 months or so and also our holding tank is cleaned (we get maybe a spoon of silt from the tank) and it costs 1700 pesos to be tested, if we went down the road of a water station then the initial testing cost would be 10k pesos for the certification and a few more pesos to the mayor and his cohorts, our water is well within the required parameters and again one of the best investments I ever made

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Understand one thing? there is 3 ways to do a job, the right way, the wrong way and the Filipino way this being the fastest and cheapest option and just may last to the end of the day? I'm thinking suppose they do fix one leak thus increasing the pressure in that particular length of pipe? does that create another two more in that same pipe joints that are just hanging by a thread? In Valencia where our house is water is close to being free we pay around P35 a month for our water supply, but this water is full of silt and even small twigs and leaves about once a month we have to clean out the small filter which is placed just before the water enters our meter, not our responsibility I know, but it gets the job done so much faster than if we reported it. we now have a filter system installed before our holding tank, before that we had problems with our taps getting clogged up with this fine silt, for anyone that does not know a filter system is an easy install and quite cheap to run, our system has two filters the first being one with a plastic mesh filter which is easy to clean and this we must do about once a month the other one, is a disposable paper element of 5 Microns, we need to change this about 4 times a year, to buy one element out of the big hardware stores is around p450, but they are readily available from Shopee or Lazada for P125.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    1000's of persons that purchase land than try to get water to that land can wait at times up to years. Particularly in Rural areas of a City or Town. Pressure is low and the demand and need are high.
    Water supplies in parts of the Philippines are frequently scarce and, as a consequence, supplies are frequently shut down to preserve capacity. Six to eight months of the year are largely dry: during these months, acute water shortages occur and people rely on drinking water sources that may not be safe.

Rain is frequent in the Philippines so collecting the rain source in various ways is common for garden watering, laundry, and showering or bathing and feeding Animals etc. I myself collect rain water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    And the 4th way you forgot, there's the British way...
    "Or take water. Since 1990 the population of the UK has risen by about 10 million to 67 million but not a single new reservoir has been built in the past three decades. More than 200,000 miles of water pipes date back to Victorian times yet the water companies are replacing them at a rate of 0.05% a year."
    https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ailure-to-invest-cost-of-living-drought-covid

Maybe the past generations that had it so good in the west didn't think beyond the next few decades, that is probably worse than the developing countries doing it "fastest and cheapest"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    In addition to what's already been posted, the state of the local water infrastructure systems is commonly deplorable.
    In Dumaguete, the local water company announced that they were drawing up plans to improve system leakage, responsible for a staggering 41% loss. The company purportedly fixed 3,300 leaks in their first year of existence, but judging by the still low water pressure that hasn't made much of a difference yet.
    In the past, many households who could afford to (yours truly included) have installed a system at their home to improve the water pressure. (storage tank, pressure tank and pump).

• Like Like x 3
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    With some expensive alternatives suggested, would it be relatively cheap to buy a few of those big blue water tanks for water storage 'in case'. The two of us lasted 3-4 days (when our electricity was out after Odette) from just one medium size tank on our tower - we needed the electricity to operate the pump that transfers water from our one large blue ground tank up to the tower, but could have taken some out by bucket if necessary.

And don't forget: If it's yellow then let it mellow but if it's brown (sorry for the pun Mr B!) then flush it down. That could save a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crystalhead

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    3% of the Earths water is pure and I feel certain that you and I are not drinking it anytime soon. I saw a science video where they did electrolysis on 2 bottled water. After the experiment which forces the various molecules to de-attach from eachother the 2 bottled waters looked like sewage. All the water that we drink contains dust and debris, each particle found is something other than water. Many youtube videos can be found searching (water under a microscope) In most the 1st world Countries water treatment slows down somewhat the growth of Microbes. Globally, at least 2 billion people use a drinking water source contaminated with feces. Microbial contamination of drinking-water as a result of contamination with feces poses the greatest risk to drinking-water safety. Guess the question JohnBoy is RRRRRRR Yah feeling lucky

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  9. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    Yes, you are right.

Depending where your lot is located you should think twice before you use it for drinking and cooking.

I assume a solution could be to use your water from the well for your pool, watering the flowers, for showering and toilet.

Our drinking water we are buying from a small shop in Valencia. This blue canisters, I think 25 Liter each.

For us it works fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  10. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    we drilled our own well now maybe 7 years ago and cost 250k pesos all up, best money ever spent, a great comfort to be had from turning on the tap without the fingers crossed

• Like Like x 2