Best Posts in Thread: Signs of Aging

1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,030
    Blood Type:
    A+
    As long as my brain remembers where the cold beer is, all's good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I have had bad eyesight from a very early age I was around 6 or 7yrs when this was first noticed, to correct this I needed to have Specs with very thick lenses, often I was made fun off being told I must have good eyesight to be able to see through my thick lenses, back in the 1980's I was paying £200 for my Specs to get the High Index super thin lenses fitted to them, 20yrs later this was now £400 plus another £200 for my contact lenses and they only lasted me one year, 2001 I had a holiday in Thailand and I visited an Optician there, Paying £112 got me the best Specs I ever had, thin but unbreakable Titanium frames, high index super thin lenses complete with matching sunglasses that clipped on them with magnets.

Just a few years after this you were able to buy Specs on line for as little as £20, perhaps around £50 with high index lenses, this was a big game changer, Opticians in UK were forced to cut their prices to less than half what they were charging previously. Around the year 2010 I think? Asda Supermarket started their own branch of Optical clinics, I could go there and get a mid range style of Frames complete with super thin lenses for £77 paying £99 would get me a second pair of the same, around this same time I paid a visit to PH thinking I would visit an Optician likely to get the same deal as I did in Thailand, I was in an Opticians there and their starting prices for my prescription was £300, I had noticed that not all that many Filipinos were wearing Spectacles and I guess the rip off prices there being the cause of this? something to think on; most Pinoys do not drive all that well and half of these Feckers cannot even see where they are going?

5yrs ago my bad eyesight was causing me to P!ss my pants, so I returned to UK and had major eye surgery.

Now I do not wear spectacles, and no longer P!ss!ng myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    As long as my brain is sending me a signal to go to the bathroom, I'm not yet worried.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Seems to me that's around the time when I start thinking someone on an airplane in the seat next to me should have booked two seats rather than one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    On that point, has anyone any experience of spectacle prices here. My wife paid P36,000 for one set - about 30k of that for the lenses. The choice of frames was so limited and waiting time very long.

Many opticians are within the same families (surprise, surprise) and the lenses are said to be made in Cebu (China more likely IMO). If I was still a young man (done that, gone forever) I would be setting up a national chain like Specsavers here to provide cheap good quality products.

If you are young and wealthy, go for it and 10% of your sales will be fine for me giving you the idea. I will negotiate. :happy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    For those struggling with their eyesight and on a proper computer, [CTRL +] is your friend. Press the CTRL key and keep pressed while pressing the + key in order to increase the font size; press [CTRL-] to decrease again.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,181 / 233
    Deafness or should I say hearing loss, can come with old age.
    Anyone being born Deaf learns to cope from the start and are accepted for their inability to hear.
    However when hearing loss becomes a problem in later life, people don't have the same patience with you, fact.
    The joke about the old lady in church passing wind, says to her husband, I've just done a silent F*rt, to which he replied, you need to change your hearing aid batteries.
    But sometimes being able to switch off your hearing aids can be a blessing so don't despair.
    Yet another thought for today.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2