Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Titanic Rescue

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    A debris field has been found near the Titanic. I suspect time ran out for those poor souls a while ago, which explains why no one could find them. A sad time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    With regard to the first tragedy, well, deep sea diving has always been a very dangerous thing, similar to flying to space. I don't really have much else to say other than rich people and their toys will at times be reminded of that.
    The other is much more sad, and I fear there is not only human misery (before they got on that trawler) to blame, but some bad luck, a lot of opportunism (by the scrupulous organizers of such trips), and "shoving the hot potato" , attempted handwashing and under the carpet attempts going on by responsible government agencies. These are the times when European governments should reflect on their shameful and ineffective immigrant policies, because those are exactly why those agencies are trying to wash their hands of the disaster.

As an aside, as a non native speaker, I have long wondered about the origin of people using "would of", "could of" and "should of" when I learned it is "would have", "could have" and "should have".
    Is it something that blew over into written text from oral custom in certain dialects?
    I noticed that so many native English speakers have the habit of writing it like that that pretty soon it might start to pop up in dictionaries as "accepted idiom".

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    You are correct in that English is your second language but you must be aware that your English language ability is FAR above most of those who are native English speakers. But what the language will look like in 50 years is a puzzle - when now they write L8 (even written as I8) for "late".

There are so many regional differences - I hear most youth on the TV using "yous" instead of "you" and am I correct that it originated in the North of the UK? Language evolves and we just have to accept it or are we comfortable in saying the Lord's Prayer as:

Fæder ure
    ðu ðe eart on heofenum
    si ðin nama gehalgod
    to-becume ðin rice
    geweorþe ðin willa on eorðan swa swa on heofenum.
    Urne ge dæghwamlican hlaf syle us to-deag
    and forgyf us ure gyltas
    swa swa we forgifaþ urum gyltendum
    ane ne gelæde ðu us on costnunge
    ac alys us of yfle.

To me that is close to Scottish (Time for @DAVE1952 to interject here!).

• Like Like x 2