Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Surplus (Thrift) Clothing Stores

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,586 / 1,017
    'When I was growing up we were poor and it was a big thing to go to Seattle's two surplus stores, the Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul (both still there after over 100 years). My dad would buy me shoes (as my feet grew) with big holes in the soles then go to Woolworth's and buy 10 cents replacement soles and tack them onto my "new" shoes.
    I am mentioning this because my wife and her mother love to go to Dumaguete's surplus stores every Wednesday when they have a half off sale. Surprisingly, she finds some pretty cool items for 50 or 100 pesos (many pin ays wear close to the same size). I appreciate having a low maintenance wife, notwithstanding her expensive Zumba outfits.

• Like Like x 3
  2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,181 / 233
    It's the same the whole world over.....Everybody likes a bargain!!
    Before Covid struck, our local amateur football club use to have a twice weekly "Car Boot " sale's
    People would set up stalls with items of all descriptions and crowds would come from miles around.
    For Filipino's especially this was a chance to send all kinds of goods home for less fortunate family members.
    It was almost like a summer meeting point for many of them to have a good chat in Tagalog at the same time.
    These days I myself from time to time pop into the Charity Shops with stuff and looking round sometimes find "Treasure" for myself.

• Like Like x 2