Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Best Posts in Thread: Roofing Contractor Recommendations

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    As I said they do provide a very professional service, I had taken a plan of my roof down to their office which they measured up, being a hipped roof they supplied me with a numbered plan of which sheet goes where and supplied the sheets of varying sizes to fit, the longest of them being 7.2mtrs also at this same time they gave me a price and I think I had to pay around half to commit to the order, if I do remember correctly the sheets, ridge caps, hip caps, all tech screws plus sealant were all included in the price, this was around P130K this was for a roof coverage of 200M2 but at a pitch of 45 Degrees this does cost more than the standard 30pitch, I did not inquire about any fitting service from them but I guess they must do this? With hindsight I wish I had them fit it all, my own workers had an extended time working with this so likely it cost me quite a bit in labour charges and saved me nothing added to that there would be No Warranty with a DIY job.

The time I had to spend in their office was of quite short duration these Guys knew their job well (a very rare quality there in PH) The 130K price included the packing and shipping cost from factory to my door the price for this alone was around 20K, at the time I did think this to be a hefty charge, however it was packed well and there was not even a hint of damage.

I think I went for a thickness of 1.5mm this can be had in 2, 2.5 and 3mm, at 1.5mm I could jump on this sheet and I am a Fat Bar Steward of 100kg, it is near impossible to bend or distort, it really is a very robust material and great to work with.

Send me a PM if you want to look at my roof and there you will see a simple ridge vent, there is bits of scrap there if you want a sample? much of the angled cuts where there is a lot of wastage in a hipped roof, perhaps as much as 10 to 15%? were all used up.

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Further to all of the above most houses and especially the more modern ones are of poor build quality, CHB is a Sh!te product and the method in which they use to build there with this is also Sh!te.

The VERY most important thing about building any house in a tropical country is to provide a cool roof, this is difficult when using a steel product for cladding the roof, before you listen to any Fecking Ejits here telling you to fit the regular 10mm Foam and Aluminium product under the roof sheets, think on this? there is not an available foam product that can withstand the intense heat under a steel roof sheet, all the available foam products there turn to dust within a short period of time, better to use mineral wool above the ceilings of the rooms, nothing under the steel sheets and provide ridge ventilation.

Ridge ventilation should be made mandatory there in PH, allowing a flow of air through the eaves vents is just not enough, the air in the attic will not have sufficient movement, but by providing a ridge vent this allows the hot air to rise and escape thus drawing in the cooler air through the eaves. It is just that simple anyone can see the logic to this.

You can see lots of examples of ridge venting on older roofs from many years ago, also in the designs of many Sac Sac (grass reeds) roofs. but few if any on most modern builds in the last 20yrs or so?
    All these fully qualified Architects of today in the Philippines designing roofs without proper venting? these Cupid Stunts should be put against a wall and shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1