Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Places to buy a motorcycle (used/new)?

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have had my XR150L for about a year and a half. If I were in the market today I would either buy another XR150L or possibly the CB150R (because it has rear disk brake, 6 speed gearbox, and efi instead of a carburetor). The bike is much smoother with the 'original' XR125 sprockets, and much more comfortable with a bit higher and wider handlebar. The ground clearance is great for roads under construction, needing construction, and without pavement. It has enough power to climb anything around here without a problem.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,097 / 332
    Most of the locals seem to have no problem with this.
    I see them all the time hogging the middle of the road at very slow speeds.
    Maybe its a safety thing that they don't want too go to fast while texting , playing with their hair or staring at whats going on at the roadside.
    I don't understand why they can't do this closer to the verge, but there's lots of things i don't understand.
    I have noticed they do move at the sound of a ceres bus horn, funny that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    :clown: I hate to say this, but I must. There are many variations of the Honda Wave. The cheapest possible one is under 50K pesos but do yourself a favour. If you have decided on that model then be sure to get one with disk brakes front and rear and solid wheels (no spokes to screw up).

Yes I have also had a Honda Wave and they not only last a long time but they hold their resale value better than most cheap bikes out there. So if you hate it you can fairly easily sell it. Such was my experience when I sold mine to move up to an XRM
    hONDA.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    BTW: I don't like the XRM. The steering feels "squirrely" and the frame and suspension feels cheap to me. Engine also has an "empty" power feeling to it. Felt dangerous to ride at anything over 40kph. Of course the only time I got on one was when I was borrowing it from a Filipino or giving a drunk Filipino a ride home but some of them were newer models and hadn't had enough time to become a victim to Filipino maintenance.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    As you are not an avid motorcyclist and just using the motorcycle for commuting up and down the hill, I suggest you would be fine with a Honda 125 Click scooter. I have one that gets up and down that hill quite easily. Has space under the seat for a few things. Can hang grocery bags between your feet and can get saddlebags for additional space as required. Any Honda dealer will sell them.

As for buying new or used, keep an eye out for an "almost new" one. Sometimes a foreigner will come here and buy a new motorcycle rather than rent one and then sell it cheap when he leaves. But you are competing with lots of other buyers for those sweet deals so it may take a while to find one.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018