Dumaguete Info Search

A couple projects around the house

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by ShawnM, Jan 27, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The formwork and shoring is taking longer than expected but we should be good to place concrete tomorrow. 2 guys have been working on digging out the drainage ditch,

Shawn
    CR formwork and shoring (1).JPG CR formwork and shoring (2).JPG Drainage ditch (1).JPG Drainage ditch (2).JPG

2. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I stand corrected...the lovely wife was not happy with the workers progress so we are placing concrete tonight. I know she is in a hurry as I will be leaving Sunday for about 5 weeks.

Shawn
    Placing concrete.JPG

3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    A few pictures from the past couple of days. I am not happy with how the concrete turned out for the upper half of the outdoor CR...it is solid but will take a bit more than just grinding and a skim coat to finish it.

Progressing on the drainage ditch the wife wants, not as high as the rebar stands as it will be bent down and cut. The new water pump rocks but tough to keep the water down in that area, will suspend showers and sink usage when we are ready to place concrete.

Shawn
    CR after forms removed.JPG Drainage ditch.JPG Placing concrete (3).JPG Placing concrete (5).JPG

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I'm in Korea until the end of April; but the wife is pressing on. The pics she sent were on the drainage ditch in front of the house. The main purpose of concreting in the ditch is for her flowers and plants.

Shawn
    Drainage ditch formwork (1).jpg Drainage ditch formwork (2).jpg Drainage ditch forms removed (1).jpg Drainage ditch forms removed (2).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    A few more pics from the past couple of days. Slow going as we only have 3 workers but the wife is pressing on with the drainage ditches.

Shawn
    Drainage ditches (1).jpg Drainage ditches (2).jpg Drainage ditches (3).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    A few more pictures...slow with 3 workers and a few days off for holy week. The drainage ditches the wife wanted will really clean things up in front of the house. Even with the dirt dug out for the ditches and what we pulled out from the rain water collection tank and foundation for the outdoor CR we are lacking some dirt. The wife will have to bring some more in as well as some more vermicompost for the plants and flowers she wants to put in front of the house. Should look pretty sharp once done...hopefully neighbors will keep their goats away.

Shawn
    Front Drainage ditches (1).jpg Front Drainage ditches (2).jpg Front Drainage ditches (3).jpg Front Drainage ditches (4).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Mostly just backfill around the drainage ditches and the outdoor CR today. The workers won't be back until Friday as there is a fiesta in their village.

Need to rake the rocks out and bring in some topsoil. My backyard is toast after the excavations and associated work so we will have to re-sod once we are done. After we finish up with the outdoor CR the only other work in the back will be to re-do some walkways as well as putting in another from the Nipa hut to the CR.

We have a few other projects after these; seems like there is always something to do when you have a house.

Hopefully the new cabinets for the upstairs dirty kitchen will go in this week, taken quite awhile but the guy has orders for hundreds of doors so our cabinets were not priority 1. We weren't in a terrible rush and things tend to take longer in the Philippines...

Shawn
    Backfilling around CR.jpg Backfilling drainage ditches (1).jpg Backfilling drainage ditches (2).jpg Backfilling drainage ditches (3).jpg Backfilling drainage ditches (4).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The cabinets for the dirty kitchen went in today. We wanted the upper cabinet to be open (no doors). I'm lost on the mix up had them putting a wooden counter top on the cabinets. We'll pull it off and put in a granite top. I'm sure I will find something to reuse that wood for.

At least from the pictures the wife sent, I think they look pretty sharp and really makes things look better upstairs.

Shawn
    Dirty kitchen cabinets (1).jpg Dirty kitchen cabinets (2).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The wife had 2 workers return after the village fiesta, they started working on the roof of the outdoor CR. I actually wanted to go with a skillion or shed roof (slope in one direction) but the wife went with a little gable roof. No big deal to me as my part in her little CR was to make sure the rebar, formwork and concrete was straight. We had the angle iron left over from other projects so no extra material for the rafters, though it does need some wire brush and grinder work before primer.

She did share that she plans to use a higher gauge of corrugated metal roofing that she will have painted brown and the exterior of the CR will be a light brown to match a bit to the nipa guest house. She wants to go with banana crème (light yellow) for the interior with a light brown floor tile. I like her color scheme. We don't plan to put a ceiling in so the rafters, purlins, struts and such will also be painted banana crème. A nice LED fixture should have it nice and bright.

Her roof will have one side going straight to the Nipa gutter, the other side will have its own gutter and downspout for a bit more rain water collection.

With only 2-3 workers there will be plenty of work for me when I get home in a few weeks.

Shawn

CR Roof (1).jpg CR Roof (2).jpg CR Roof (3).jpg CR Roof (5).jpg

10. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Attached is a picture of the outhouse we left behind in North Carolina. Key is the crescent moon. Don’t forget to add the crescent moon or they will think your a d*mn yankee.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk