Dumaguete Info Search

A few Peso for the carolers this time of year... or ... :)

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by danbandanna, Dec 2, 2018.

1. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge,' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, 'it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.'

'Are there no prisons?' asked Scrooge.

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses?' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?'

'They are. Still,' returned the gentleman, 'I wish I could say they were not.'

'The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?' said Scrooge.

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I am very glad to hear it.'

'Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,' returned the gentleman, 'a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?'

'Nothing!' Scrooge replied.

'You wish to be anonymous?'

'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. 'Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas, and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned—they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.'

'Many can't go there; and many would rather die.'

'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides—excuse me—I don't know that.'

'But you might know it,' observed the gentleman.

'It's not my business,' Scrooge returned. 'It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!'

Seeing clearly that it would be useless to pursue their point, the gentlemen withdrew. Scrooge resumed his labours with an improved opinion of himself, and in a more facetious temper than was usual with him.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Scrooge has some good points.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Try explaining that to the carolers. I think I'll just not go outside.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    I usually pay ‘em every other day. Usually when the hounds are too fagged out from mauling yesterday’s Jehova’s Witnesses or I don’t want blood all over the lawns again. Bah.

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Just what I would say about you Mr W. :wink:

6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The foreigner who doesn't give to the carolers is f*cking cheap Charlie in my opinion. I observe people give in their home country but not in the Philippines, why? I'm far from holy and not Santa Claus but I have a bowl with candy and another with coins, it's a tradition here Christmas time and you make kids happy, with a little applause and candy/coins. My ex-neighbor went out and shouted f*ck off to the kids, one morning he had 4 flat tires (of course not okay in my opinion) be a little smart, candy is cheaper than 4 tires lol and why not have a good relation to your neighbors

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    It's all Ok until it is the same little tribe every night, now that can get just a tad tiresome Every one around here gets well looked after at Christmas but the Push Push can get so very.....................:pompus:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Yeah, a few years back, I use to give pesos to the kids who came by to sing at the gate. But it became constant; day and night. Mostly the same kids, but not always. By the 3rd week of December I decided not to go out to the gate and give pesos. A few days after, some of them (or others) instead of singing, threw rocks towards the house (no damage though). So, the last few years, I just ignore them. No problems now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Define "caroler". Are the little kids that come up to your bar stool who sing 3 words of a song and then put their hand out for money carolers? The guards should never let beggars near a bar.

As for the real carolers: you're are assuming I'm Christian and give a crap about your religious holiday. I don't. How would you feel if Muslims were going around door to door during Ramadan singing about the prophet Mohammad and asking for money? Yeah, that wouldn't be too popular.

I donate to real charities with no religious affiliation, mainly ones that give to people who have actually made a personal sacrifice and are now suffering. Not giving to people pushing your imaginary sky daddy doesn't make me cheap. Stop using your prophet for profit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Depending on the living situation, as for example mine, if I don't wanna donate I just keep the front door closed. Curtains do cover my windows so anybody outside has no idea someone is inside. 9 out of 10 the singing stops within a few seconds and the carolers move on next door or else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1