Dumaguete Info Search

A few Peso for the carolers this time of year... or ... :)

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by danbandanna, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Surely you saw that coming. Be more amazed we didn't take it completely off topic and start talking about fishing lures.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Agree .... I hate people going off topic!!! What would you like to know about fishing lures? :smile:

3. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    As you know I, along with most members of this forum, just hate going off topic. But I need to tell you this: Today I went to the City to enquire about the 15 year Tanduay Rum for you ... the store manager asked me who it would be for .... I described you as a man of intelligence, a man of profound insight, a man of action ... but above all I told him "This is a man of extreme compassion, a man who would never turn his back on a poor child (even if that child disturbed his drinking), a man for whom 'Christmas' is synonymous with giving, a man who stands at his gate 24/7 waiting with a big bag of candies, an array of soft drinks and a wad of 20 pesos notes (100 pesos notes if his mood is especially great that day) - just waiting there for carollers to give him rejoicing and warm his heart. They receive his gifts with gratitude and part with tears in their eyes - he does not want them to see his hanky as he also wipes his eyes. That is the sort of man I am talking about". The manager asked me why would I give an OLD bottle of rum to a man like you - I had no answer, my shame was too great. So I hope the bottle of 15 day rum I bought is more fitting.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    There is a small lake in front of the LGU in Bacong that appears after a heavy rain, it's right on the national highway.
    What would work in that situation. I think there may be sharks as no one is swimming there.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I know; I saw an oil tanker there yesterday.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sure, just hold on to it for another 5460 days.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    How about halloween in western countries? Is it that different? I'll compare it to that. There are 2 types coming to your door, the kid dressed up in a costume all nice like saying the magic words "Trick or treat" and you give them a piece of candy. Its not charity but a tradition where there are 2 ends being met first the kid dressed up in a costume and the 2nd a piece of candy. Now its far different if someone shows up at my door not dressed up and probably not even at the right time (june maybe?) and wanting candy.

Here instead of halloween they have Christmas caroling where the tradition is they come and sing (properly) and you give them a few peso's. Its not charity as they are meeting a tradition requirement which is thought of as bringing a smile and a song to someone. That however is far different then the beggar who shows up and right away its *merry pasco* like your supposed to run out and just give them coins even though they never fulfilled their end of the tradition. Some will short change it as well with saying "feliz navidad" 2-3 times as if that is all there is to say in the song before starting a 10-15 *merry pasco* chant.

So to me if they show up at my door and do their end of the tradition and don't abuse it (coming back constantly) I'll respect the tradition and carry out my houses end of the tradition. I see traditions as very important as long as they don't harm anyone and I also believe as a guest in someone else's home or country they should respect those traditions as I expect those visiting my home or country (sadly that part is rarely done though).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Slightly off topic, here the locals say Merry Christmas, smiling big time, with the expectation you give them "something" and what are your reaction? Maybe I know the answer haha, just curious if it the same in other places

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Happy Holidays", a smile and nothing more.

The reply is the same no matter where I'm at.

10. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Halloween; you ask if it's really that different. Yes. Halloween is just one night/eve and for just a few hours. Christmas here singing at your gate goes on day and night for 5 weeks or more.

• Agree Agree x 2