Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: A Filipina wife who doesn't really want to return.....

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    We can debate this ad nauseum but never reached agreement as we are all individuals - my view is that I am not here primarily to travel and eat out everywhere. I have the income to do so, therefore it is a choice and not a necessity. I am here to avoid cold winters, which I totally detest, and to enjoy the sea views - I am happy to eat out at times but can become bored when doing so regularly. I think my desire is a spiritual one and my need therefore is for enough money to survive and enjoy some of those material things on offer to me. The smiling faces of many people here is a bonus!

I can inform anyone wishing to live here, but who reads of Php 150,000 as a monthly requirement, that it is possible to: rent a 2 bed furnished house with aircon for Php 8000; pay about Php 4000 for electricity and water; spend about Php 20,000 on eating in and very occasional eating out; get internet for about Php 2000; allocate Php 2000 for transport (relying on their own legs, trikes, jeepneys and buses); allow perhaps Php 2000 for clothes (less if bringing some clothes with them). This equals Php 38,000. The BIG unknown is medical costs, so two choices: 1) Buy medical insurance (costs are very different depending on age, so difficult to quote) 2) Have a fund available to return home if it is more cost effective.

So I think about Php 40 - 70,000 per month is survivable in The Philippines. Plus that essential reserve to get back home if necessary.

But if you want a big house on the coast, helpers, a car, a boat (yacht perhaps), fine dining (IF you can find it!), lots of travelling, full coverage of all medical needs, etc. then come if you are loaded or stay in your own country if you are not.

Even then, there are degrees of everything and a basic lifestyle can be combined with SOME of your desires - when you have reached your financial limit then stop desiring!

Although I would never suggest recklessness - it is actually the opposite of the way I live my own life - I would also not rust away in the harbour if you can go out to sea and have an adventure.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    Hi Garbonzo,

I lived in Sydney most of my life and when I was on a high income that was fine but when I decided to retire at 55 years old, the cost of living in Sydney made life very difficult. Financially, a lot of the cost/benefit of moving will be determined if you are self funded or if you are on a government pension. I am self funded and being a non resident of Australia is beneficial on the taxes that I pay there - note that my accountant specifies that I must not own any property in Australia to have that benefit. As to healthcare be aware that Medicare continues for you for 5 years after you become a non-resident and if I needed to, could easily change my status back to a resident and take benefit of the health system (but go back to paying local marginal taxes and the medicare levy which I don't pay as a non resident). As to USD 3,000 per month I live on similar here in Valencia, rent an expensive (for here) home, have a partner and send my "step" daughter to a private school. I live far better here than I could do for that money in Sydney. I think it is important though that you have a pool either for a quick trip back to Oz or for emergency medical here. I have skin cancer and have to return back to Sydney every 4 months (used to be every 3 months) for treatment. I see a series of doctors when I return and each of them tell me that my general health is far better and they think that is because of the change of lifestyle - moving away from the high stress that is Sydney.

But that was all about money, as hinted by Shawn, two people and three opinions - so emotionally you should try it out for some time and see if it suits - for me this is easily the best decision I have made (in 2015), for others it has been a nightmare. Good luck with your decision and if you want more detailed accounting/legal information you can PM me - I have spent lots of time with accountants, solicitors and financial advisers/estate planners before and since coming here. For me, the biggest confirmation came from my 27 year old daughter who, like me unfortunately is particularly critical of everything in her life and after visiting for the first time over the past Xmas and New Year said - "I have finally understood why you left Australia - it's so chilled here."

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    Goodness me, I didn't realize my comment would upset some people. I certainly didn't expect to be called "idiotic", and told "why don’t you go the your first world country and play with yourself on the freeway during rush hour, blindfolded".

I was simply trying to express that I don't think it's possible to live a "Western" lifestyle in The Philippines.

I apologize if I upset anyone by not agreeing with everything they say. I thought that was the purpose of a forum: to express our opinions in a mature way.

Anyway, apologies to those people again, and wish them, and indeed anyone who is reading this, a pleasant stay in this wonderful country. I'm off to catch a jeepney and eat some balut:smile:

P.S. My comment about not marrying a local in order to spend less money was supposed to be a bit of light hearted banter.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have no doubt you are truthful in what your expectations are for yourself living the "Western" life in the Philippines. I just plainly disagree with your comments that I quoted previously. You generalized and made assumptions with a conclusion that all 3K a day would get you a life of just pickling your liver. If you think my intent was to "shame" you I suggest you re-read your post and how it could be interpreted.

There are folks with vastly different ideas to what their expectations are for a life in the Philippines and how much they plan to spend; pretty much their own business. I know how much we spend when I'm home and when I'm not; but that is my business.

We are in complete agreement that the Philippines is not as cheap as many assume. It can also be fairly inexpensive depending on your lifestyle.

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Mark K,
    No need to apologize if you upset anyone. The last time I thought about it this chat board was the same as all the others on the net. I think it's great that you were able to post something that generated that many replies, is good. So please stick around this place can always use another poster that can get us thinking and posting. I think this place can always use another inquisitive mind.
    I started a post on April 15 2007, not expecting much in the way of replies. As of this morning there are 3561 replies on 357 pages and it is still getting replies. So please put a smile on and keep posting. For me a good heated tread is good as long as it dose not turn into something hurtful.
    Be provocative not a troll.:smuggrin: :wink:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    Why are so many people talking about the cost of a Western lifestyle in The Philippines?

We're not in The West. Last time I looked The Philippines was in Asia. How can you come to live in a country and refuse to eat the local food, and use the local transport? Embrace the country. embrace the country, smile at the idiosyncracies, get stuck in and have fun. And it you're really worried about your budget, don't marry a local.

What's the point of coming to live in Asia and looking to live a Western lifestyle. Good grief gentlemen!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    This is a relationship issue and only you two can solve it. For what it is worth: People can use emotions or intellect in matters such as these and it is difficult if the two people involved are coming at it from different perspectives. If it was me and my wife I would try to find one thing that both can accept, even if not fully: 1) Stay in Australia 2) Move to the Philippine 3) Part of each. If the final answer is that one partner is not happy then it is not a solution. If a person is forced, not necessarily physically but emotionally, into a situation they don't like then it spells unhappiness for that person and ALSO the partner as the 'forced' one will have issues that affect both.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  8. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Some ex-Filipinos want to come here later on after they have worked hard in the West and they have saved up money and established pensions or 401ks in preparation and have no money worries. This is not a good place to be without a regular income but it is great as long as you have worked and saved the money. I know, more condescension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You'll get a lot of different opinions on this query; people have different experiences and reason to either retire or not in the Philippines.

Folks seem to list the weather, cost of living, simple life and such but I've yet to read anyone that stated the reason being the top notch medical care.

We've all read about the folks that move to the Philippines, build the house, buy the cars, furniture and a year or so later they sell everything and move back to their home country with vows to never return.

Maybe rent a place close to your property for a few months to see if your wife comes around as well as how you feel about it.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    I don't think anyone expected it. Apologies for those who have no manners.

• Agree Agree x 2