Dumaguete Info Search

A Filipina wife who doesn't really want to return.....

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by garbonzo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You make a great point! Some people go there because they are "taking one for the team" and had false hope of being able to handle the change. Trust me, as I'm sure you are aware, moving and living there is not for most people! Especially Western people!

But, if you go into it with a good attitude, and realistic expectations, you can do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    You just need to be flexible. But the Philippines is a place with a lot of Western values and culture amongst the vast differences between it, and the USA, EU or Australia. On the other side of the coin, I know people from a small town where I lived in Wisconsin (Shoto) who have never traveled 50 miles from their hometown and are proud of that fact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yup they sure do! They want to be like the West, but still keep the traditions that they like. It's like living life alacarte! That's quite understandable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have no doubt you are truthful in what your expectations are for yourself living the "Western" life in the Philippines. I just plainly disagree with your comments that I quoted previously. You generalized and made assumptions with a conclusion that all 3K a day would get you a life of just pickling your liver. If you think my intent was to "shame" you I suggest you re-read your post and how it could be interpreted.

There are folks with vastly different ideas to what their expectations are for a life in the Philippines and how much they plan to spend; pretty much their own business. I know how much we spend when I'm home and when I'm not; but that is my business.

We are in complete agreement that the Philippines is not as cheap as many assume. It can also be fairly inexpensive depending on your lifestyle.

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    My main point is that it takes nearly as much money to live here as in the west, yes, IF you want to live like a Westerner. We both agree on that. You can also live well on 3k if you are single. Not sure if you are married but 3K to a married couple really equates to only 1.5k single (it is linear) which is getting marginal, approaching the 1k limit. You can say I generalized blah blah and I could take the time to publish a sample 3K budget showing what us lacking, but...that is too much work and at this point in my 70 year long life I avoid work at all costs lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    My main point is that it takes nearly as much money to live here as in the west, yes, IF you want to live like a Westerner. We both agree on that. You can also live well on 3k if you are single. Not sure if you are married but 3K to a married couple really equates to only 1.5k single (it is linear) which is getting marginal, approaching the 1k limit. You can say I generalized blah blah and I could take the time to publish a sample 3K budget showing what us lacking, but...that is too much work and at this point in my 70 year long life I avoid work at all costs lol.

7. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    A budget 3k is impossible. Silliman mothers visit my tent under the mango tree once a week. I spoiled them on imported wines. Daughter’s clothes shipped via Amazon. Atmosphere, Coco Grove, Marco Polo, RadBlu, Plantation Bay..Kav’s, Mike’s...Casablanca, Why Not, KRI, Grumpy’s, feel like I’am obligated to support the businesses. Daughter’s birthday at the first four properties. CG twice, MP again next weekend. I cannot eat at the Filipino restaurants.

Is my daughter spoiled...Absolutely!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Yeah, under those conditions you will not get by on your USA minimum social security check of $850.00 per month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    We can debate this ad nauseum but never reached agreement as we are all individuals - my view is that I am not here primarily to travel and eat out everywhere. I have the income to do so, therefore it is a choice and not a necessity. I am here to avoid cold winters, which I totally detest, and to enjoy the sea views - I am happy to eat out at times but can become bored when doing so regularly. I think my desire is a spiritual one and my need therefore is for enough money to survive and enjoy some of those material things on offer to me. The smiling faces of many people here is a bonus!

I can inform anyone wishing to live here, but who reads of Php 150,000 as a monthly requirement, that it is possible to: rent a 2 bed furnished house with aircon for Php 8000; pay about Php 4000 for electricity and water; spend about Php 20,000 on eating in and very occasional eating out; get internet for about Php 2000; allocate Php 2000 for transport (relying on their own legs, trikes, jeepneys and buses); allow perhaps Php 2000 for clothes (less if bringing some clothes with them). This equals Php 38,000. The BIG unknown is medical costs, so two choices: 1) Buy medical insurance (costs are very different depending on age, so difficult to quote) 2) Have a fund available to return home if it is more cost effective.

So I think about Php 40 - 70,000 per month is survivable in The Philippines. Plus that essential reserve to get back home if necessary.

But if you want a big house on the coast, helpers, a car, a boat (yacht perhaps), fine dining (IF you can find it!), lots of travelling, full coverage of all medical needs, etc. then come if you are loaded or stay in your own country if you are not.

Even then, there are degrees of everything and a basic lifestyle can be combined with SOME of your desires - when you have reached your financial limit then stop desiring!

Although I would never suggest recklessness - it is actually the opposite of the way I live my own life - I would also not rust away in the harbour if you can go out to sea and have an adventure.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    A typical married couple in the U.S. might be yanking around half their income for taxes and savings, leaving the other half to live on. To live on 3K that couple would then need to be making $72K / year, which is above the median household income for that country. Of that median, a large chunk is living in crazy expensive cities such as LA and NYC. A profile of a typical suburban family is probably a lot less than the median.

A family magically transplanted here would likely save a bunch on transportation costs. Do any foreigners pay car insurance here? Insurance for the couple could hit 10% of that 3K. I pay zero because I walk most places (can't do that in a spread out cities I used to live in. We could probably put together a long list of other things that nickel and dime you in the US compared to the Philippines.

Good for you, but your 3K per month is relatively well off even in the US.

• Agree Agree x 1