Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by DAVE1952, Dec 5, 2023.

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I have lived in a few places in the Philippines and visited many others, for a couple of years I lived in Mactan Cebu, but we decided to move from there 6 years ago, the reasons being congested traffic giving rise to lots of pollution, there was lots of standing water all around and in many places it would lie so long it would turn green and smelly, this was a higher risk area for Dengue.

Having returned from Scotland to visit my family in Valencia I was to spend a couple of days in Mactan to visit old friends and talk about all the Auld Bar Stewards that had died. My Wee Boy and his Mum come over to meet me at the airport, they had driven over the day before, the first thing my Son said when they arrived was why does it smell funny here, I was to notice this myself there is always a faint whiff of sewage there. An added problem to me there was the price of a Beer in the Bars being P85 and even 90 in some.

So I am now back in Valencia which I think is as good as any other place I have visited in PH and better than any other place I have lived in, apart from the odd killing now and again? generally it has quite a low crime rate and for a Drunken master like myself I can get a Beer at the Red Table for p50, what more could a man want? I must admit the RT is a shitty little place but in an ideal location looking over the Public Park, in the evenings there is lots of young girls roaming around, on weekdays late afternoons is also a good time when all the young Mums pick up their children from the local School there, after a few Beers they all look pretty good to me.

There is so much going on in this Park, there they have a couple of Tennis courts (my Son and his Mum are there playing most nights) there is also a children's playground and a basketball court, at the other end of the park there is quite a number of BBQ stalls this is very cheap eating out for the locals and well supported by them, at this time of year we have the Christmas tree and usually this is quite spectacular being very good this year.

GIANT CHRISTMAS TREE | VALENCIA, NEGROS ORIENTAL 2023 - YouTube

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,575 / 1,017
    I like Valencia too but decided to live in Bacong the last 13+ years. 12 minutes north to my boy's school and the mall and 12 minutes south to the gym. A new Bacong large mall is near completion and hopefully will have a supermarket. Mercury Drugs and 7/11 here and many fresh fish and fruit stands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +452 / 12
    There is no doubt Valencia is a very good place to live.

I agree as well with your impressions of Mactan island. My wife is from Lapu Lapu and it was at no time a valid choice to settle there.

After visiting various spots in the Philippines we accidently came to Dumaguete and it got very clear we will set up our home over here.

After renting a house for 3 years in Dauin we bought a house in Magatas, Sibulan. 10 minutes drive to City Mall, 15 minutes to airport, North Point, Downtown Dumaguete and Boulevard, 20 minutes to Valencia. And due to the new diversion road maybe 25 mnutes to Bacong and Dauin.

We are fine. Life is good. We are enjoying all advantages a life in the Philippines offers to you and we are dealng as best as we can with all disadvantages and issues. To be precise, my wife is doing it. She can handle that far better than me.

We never regret ourmivr to Dumaguete and there is absolutely no intention to move. With my knowledge of today only place I would consider if had to start again would be Davao. But it's not a plan. We are here, life is good.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I never did like any place situated on the south highway mainly because of the fast disorderly traffic on it, I guess we may have been unfortunate? but we have had quite a few incidents involving crazy drivers on that road, in fact one night when travelling back from a wedding in Zamboanguita we had three near misses within 15mins or so.

In fairness I should say I am no longer a confident Driver even in my own country and I let my partner do all the driving here she seems to like it for some strange reason? she drove over to Mactan to get me from the airport last week.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Davao has a lot to offer and it is a big city. Also in the hinterland or on Samal Island. However, there are surprisingly few hang outs for expats in comparison. Well, this doesn't necessarily have to be a must if you want to live there with your family. What matters a lot is the traffic. Like everywhere in the Philippines. 30 years ago you could cross the entire city in 20 minutes. Today, depending on the traffic situation, this can take over 2 hours.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,628 / 2,895
    SOLD! But I've never been there.

7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,628 / 2,895
    I look at safety (as far as is possible in a country wracked by natural disasters) - looking at safety is one of my hobbies! I would rule out Davao because of the frequency of earthquakes (unless you enjoy the experience); much of the east (Surigao, Samar/Leyte, Bicol, Cagayan and up to North Luzon) due to typhoons and heavy rains; Palawan as it is a bit remote and so, looking at places with some decent shops and a few things of interest, Dumaguete and environs look pretty good. I think also maybe Panay but I am not at all familiar with places such as Mindoro, Masbate but does anything ever happen there???

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Usual festivals, karaoke. Nothing unusual. Tom Jones.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +752 / 109
    Lived on Panay island near Iloilo in a subdivision. City much bigger than Dumaguete and as a result more facilities like shopping malls, hospitals and restaurants. Though already some years ago, the city water supply was a disaster after a typhoon. Traffic in general more pleasant than in Dumaguete city with exception for some streets during rush hours. Reason I did not stay, my partner could not get used to the language barrier between Visaya and Illongo plus far far away from her family living on Mindano which took 2 days by car to get there.

• Informative Informative x 4
  10. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,628 / 2,895
    I might be an indication of a place here if it has a Vikings - Bacolod has and so does Iloilo, but not Dumaguete.

• Informative Informative x 2