Dumaguete Info Search

A Great Cup of Coffee in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by Brian, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Brian

Brian DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89 / 20
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    The best cup of coffee you can get in the Philippines is one made from coffee beans you roast yourself. Roasting coffee is a great hobby, you get to do it your way. Find some Robusta & Arabica Coffee beans for blending to create a taste perfect for you. With a bit of experimenting you can roast coffee beans that will give you a cup of coffee to die for.

I now drink the best coffee ever. What you need to do is learn how to to roast your own coffee from green coffee beans, which gives the most amazing fresh flavor and scent. Not to mention the ability to casually mention you roasted this particular cup of coffee yourself...

Green Robusta coffee beans seem to be easy to find on Negros you might even be able to find Arabica and they last for several years in their dry state.. There easy to roast in an air popcorn popper, wok or almost any kind of stove top popcorn popper. My preference is an electric air popper. You can roast it to your taste. I started roasting my own coffee about a year ago and was amazed how good fresh roasted coffee was. When coffee is roasted it should be consumed within a week for best taste. When you find roasted coffee beans in the store you have no idea how long ago it was roasted. Do yourself a favor, get an air popper and some green coffee beans and see how good coffee can really be.

• Informative Informative x 5
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. OP
    OP
    Brian

Brian DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89 / 20
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    10 differences Between Robusta & Arabica Coffee
    You may have noticed that some coffee bag labels brag about the fact that their coffee beans are 100% Arabica. Although it does sound like something magicians say, it isn’t gibberish – it refers to the type of coffee species in which the beans are from.

There are over 100 coffee species, however the two main ones that are widely produced and sold are: Coffea Arabica and Coffea Canephora (also known as Coffea Robusta).

[​IMG]
    Here’s a list featuring 10 differences between the two coffee species:

1. The most commonly known: Taste. Often Robusta has its taste described as burnt tires or rubbery, which… sounds disgusting (can you imagine one of our taste swatches on the front page being a burnt tire?). Why the bad taste?

2. One reason that the taste isn't as good for Robustais that it has more caffeine compared to Arabica. Which may sound like a positive thing but caffeine carries a bitter taste which makes it an unpleasant drink. In fact the Robusta bean has 2.7% caffeine content, almost double the 1.5% of Arabica.

3. Lipid & Sugar content: As mentioned here, Arabica contains almost 60% more lipids and almost twice the concentration of sugar than Robusta. This factor also probably has a big impact on why we prefer the taste of Arabica.

4. From a price perspective, green beans of Robusta is about half the price of Arabica green beans on the commodity market. (Robusta vs. Arabica)

5. Robusta is easier to tend to on the farm, has a higher yield and is less sensitive to insects - the extra caffeine is a chemical defense for the coffee seed as the quantity in the Robusta is toxic to bugs.
    All of these factors help bring up the supply and lower the input costs for farmers to produce. With this more attractive price point, a lot of roasters back in the day would add Robusta to their blend in an attempt to reduce their costs and increase their profits. When coffee was initially sold in the 1900s the quality of coffee slowly and slowly deteriorated in an effort for companies to squeeze the most profit.

1. Where you’ll find it: Nowadays, it’s not often you’ll find Robusta in a coffee blend. If you’re drinking instant coffee? Well, that’s probably all Robusta… but you probably don’t care very much about taste. In your espresso blend? That’s a mixed bag. Literally. Oddly enough, Robusta is still widely used as part of espresso blends – specifically Italian style blends. It is said to help improve the Crema. However, generally at a detriment to the taste, which in our opinion the priorities may be out of wack.
    One thing to note is despite the association with Arabica of being higher quality, and Robusta as being lower quality, it’s not always the case. Top notch specialty Robusta coffee will usually taste as good as or better than low end Arabica. However, high end Robusta isn’t widely used or available. Rather, Robusta is usually used as a filler or cost reducer.

1. The Shape: Robusta beans are much more circular, whereas Arabica are more oval.

2. Plant Height: Arabica usually grows between 2.5 – 4.5 meters compared to the 4.5 – 6 meter height of Robusta.

3. Chlorogenic acid (CGA) content: This picture unfortunately, isn’t true – however something that is actually a part of coffee is CGA. It’s a significant antioxidant and an insect deterrent. Robusta is 7-10% CGA and Arabica has 5.5-8% CGA.

4. Cultivation: About 75% of the world’s coffee production is Arabica, about 25% being Robusta. Brazil is the most significant Arabica producer and Vietnam produces the most Robusta.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank-you Brian for this informative coffee and coffee-making material.

I LOVE a good cup of coffee and didn't realize how easy it seems to be able to roast a wee bit at home.

The DIY video makes me want to try this as Starbucks by the pound can be expensive. And if I can get great roasted coffee by doing it myself in less than 10 minutes of my time - and, with a minimal amount of equipment - well, by golly, this sounds like a great idea for me!

Armed with a pound or two of great green beans, and a few already-in-the-kitchen appliances, I now know that I can produce my own perfectly blended roast.

Now how cool is that?

And it won't break the bank to have a great cup of coffee roasted just the way I like it.

Good coffee, good friends, and good conversation can go a long ways together.

Can't get much better than that.

Thanks again!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Harvest time for coffee is coming up soon in dauin up above baslay hot springs. image.jpg image.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Brian

Brian DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89 / 20
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Your welcome nwlivewire, relax and enjoy, don't over complicate it like I did when starting out, roasting and brewing coffee is an art not a science. In the beginning I focused too much on temperature, time and trying to create an infallible process to roast coffee. There are too many variables that can change the process from day to day, ambient air temp, humidity, wind, the type of bean, quantity, etc, etc. My better cup's of coffee always consisted of at least 2 different types of bean, it seems to produce a more complete coffee with a better flavor and I can taste the difference because I drink coffee black. I always roast only 1 type of bean at the time and blend before grinding, the given roasting times can vary from bean to bean...

After roasting for over a year the method that works the best for me is...

Using about 1/3 cup of beans, (that is usually the size of the butter cup included with the air popper...

Start roasting beans, stir them a bit to get them moving in the beginning if needed, listen for the first crack to start and finish. On average for me first crack starts about 2 to 3 minutes into the roast and lasts for about 1 minute. (first crack is a louder defined cracking sound) ...

After first crack there will be a short pause (20 to 30 seconds) then second crack starts. (second crack is a quieter faster rolling crackle like Rice Krispies when you add milk to the bowl)...

A few seconds after second crack starts I remove the beans from the popper and cool them as fast as I can to stop the roasting process, put them in a coffee can overnight and there ready for grinding and brewing the next morning...

The process can make for a bit of a mess with chaff and smoke in the air, so its best done outside.

Don't let the chaff build up inside the popper it might become a fire hazard so keep the machine clean...

Enjoy your coffee and have fun...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I was getting ready to mention this as well. I've also heard that they are growing them up in Valencia as well. Not sure where but I'd bet someone at the police station or mayor's office would be happy to fill you in on that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    For a newbie like me can I get a general set of directions to find it? Can I buy coffee from them direct or not?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It's a bit of a trip Dave and best only with a 4x4,its way up there above baslay. There is a drying area and a machine to take skins off,we bought some a couple yrs back but was a lot of work to get good coffee,still it was nice to see the guys picking,washing and drying and doing there stuff. When we talked to them they had a buyer in dumaguete who buys the majority of it.
    Same as the cacao,of you go to the main market in dumaguete you can watch the guys husking the chocolate beans and it makes an awsome cup of cocoa,awsome of you need a natural chocolate hit :smile:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Brian

Brian DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89 / 20
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I have had good tasting coffee before but usually not. Usually I just go for strength/mud. Nice to know that coffee roasting is available as a hobby.:smile:

• Like Like x 2