Dumaguete Info Search

A Lot of Allotting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Auto correction of spelling has ruined most people's ability to spell just as using calculators has affected our ability to do math in our head. I think the trend toward video and away from reading has affected our spelling ability also. Many years ago one almost never found spelling errors in the written media. Nowadays even with spell check, spelling errors are common in newspaper and magazine articles. I sometimes even see unintentional spelling errors in signs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It depends on the way you are typing. I use swipe typing on my phone. You MUST know the letters in the word or something completely different comes up. Autocorrect and swipe typing has helped me learn to spell.

I don't see how one could know if there are more or less typos in media now. Nobody could possibly make an accurate assessment on an individual level, the reading sample size would be too small. Only an AI supercomputer could process all the information needed and make an analysis on that. But I get it, "things were better back in my day. These gosh darn millennials can't do anything right!" :oldman: lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Another thing is that nobody is anymore proof reading the stuff in the newspapers before printing and releasing them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    And Business Signs here in the Philippines? :biggrin: hehe

I blame Mobile Phones (Texting abbreviations and Emoticons) and the Internet (again; Abbreviations and Emoticons) but most of all the STUPID people who adopt both habits instead of taking the time to learn how to type, how to spell or use correct grammar. One thing that amazes me is listening to some Filipino speak, it is a mess of abbreviations for words which could just as easily be uttered. Like back home in Australia when you are talking and someone opens their mouth and says; "LOL" :o o: I beg your pardon?

If anyone asks me to Skype or Web Chat I immediately tell them I can only type as I have no Microphone or Web Cam. I prefer to type and 'talk' via the Keyboard than to talk to someone on a Cam...

I have to admit in 1996 when I bought my first PC I was a one finger typist. Nowadays I can almost type faster than I can think and utter the reply. Typing has also taught me better grammar and again; taught me how to spell. Doing the same thing repetitively, eventually sinks in. A bit like the old days in the Classroom with repetition; repeat, repeat, and then, repeat again, until it is embedded firmly into your memory. I recall the days of repeating multiplication, addition etc, everyday, repeat what you learnt yesterday, again and again, so now today I can recall most answers as if it is a picture memory in my mind from almost 50 years ago. As far as I know they no longer do this repetitive style learning in the Classroom, and I think that speaks volumes for the dumb asses that surround us today. :rolleyes:

5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Nobody"? So there is not a single newspaper out there that has the position of copy editor anymore?

Copy Editor: Salary

That link seems to state otherwise. Can't be an average salary if there is nobody collecting a salary.

I'd go out on a limb and say that almost every single legitimate newspaper has at least one person proofreading every single page before it goes to print. If there are more typos these days I would guess that it is likely due to the 24 hour news cycle and deadlines are much shorter now than they were 20+ years ago. Less time to review = more mistakes. If any technology is to blame for printed media typos it would be the internet. Papers just can't keep up.

Kids today are actually smarter and taking more advanced classes than their parents and grandparents were at the same age. (Not talking about the Philippines here.) That teaching by repetition method is a mediocre one. It does nothing to teach kids how to think on their own and doesn't allow them to understand why the answer is what it is.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. Plainspoken

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    I wasn't making a scientific study of it or trying to assert anything globally about more or less errors in the media. I was merely saying that many years ago spelling errors were almost unknown in the printed media, meaning unknown to me, and that now it is common, for me, to see spelling errors in the printed media. I don't know really what a millennial is and do not long for the "good ol' days". These are the "good ol' days". I do believe though, that the computer age has made the younger generation more analytical and critically minded, in a good way, and there is less room allowed for personal assessments and opinions. Everything needs to be a study. By the way, I have no idea what an AI supercomputer is even though I can do a little coding so I guess I am outdated again. However, you made me curious so I did a search and here is the result.
    Low-attaining teenagers 'make more spelling mistakes than 30 years ago'
    Students of all abilities are now using less complex sentence structures than in 1980, new research shows
    Research by exam group Cambridge Assessment, which looks at how writing in exams has changed since 1980, found that correct spelling and the use of semicolons had declined among low-attaining GCSE English students by 2014.

The report concludes: (my bold) "The advent of electronic media for much everyday writing, with its concomitant reliance on automatic checking and correction against conventions of writing, makes the world of the 16-year old in 2014 very different from their counterparts in 1980."
    Low-attaining teenagers 'make more spelling mistakes than 30 years ago'

I could probably find some study that would contradict this but this is from the TES site and was done by Cambridge. "Sylvia Green, director of Cambridge Assessment’s research division, said: “It is important to note that we report the findings with little theorising or evaluation of the education context or the reasons for data. Instead, we hope it will provide a stimulus for discussion and extended research.”"
    NOTICE that the word "theorising" was misspelled in the article. Hahahaha

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Different people spell it different ways. Ha Ha Ha Ha

Correct spelling from Grammarly site:
    theorising

Examples of usage:

In such matters theorising appears to me to be a pure waste of time.
    - "The Empire of the East", H. B. Montgomery.

He then suggests that, instead of theorising, would do well to study practical effects, and tells him a little story by way of warning.
    Mr. Hamonet - "The Esperantist, Complete", Various.

In short this sort of vague evolutionary theorising simply amounts to finding an unconvincing explanation of something that needs explanation.
    no - "The New Jerusalem", G. K. Chesterton.

Of course, if we are to believe your spelling is more accurate than that of famous English author G. K. Chesterton then we would be thrilled to be corrected by you.

8. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Another quite common mispelling is your vs. you're.

Your = if something belongs to a second person singulary or plural. Ex: This is your car.

You're = you are

In Switzerland between 5 to 10% of all people can not read and write well after finishing the school. And the school level is very high in Switzerland. A probably issue is that german language is a very complex language with a difficult grammar.

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Dang, ya got me. All those teenagers working in copy editing positions. :wink:

Here's a song to help out with that one:

10. Plainspoken

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    It's not me doing the correcting. The spelling is with a z according to Merriam Webster Dictionary. Of course it may be one of those U.K. versus US spelling things or an example of the way language changes. Mr. Chesterton died in the thirties and maybe things have changed.