Dumaguete Info Search

A Nightmare ( or a Glimpse into the future of a possible reality)

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Jack Peterson, Jul 24, 2015.

1. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Ok, I'll play the what if. Guess I'll go up into the mountains; build a tiny house from bamboo, live off of malunggay, corn, rice, mango, bananas....and TUBA!!!. Won't be so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I like it but who will pay your Extensions. You can only be hermit for so long.

3. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Well, if it's a doomsday financial collapse of western civilization, I doubt anyone would care about extensions. This country would be in chaos as well.

4. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    No change there then :muted:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Monty44

Monty44 DI Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    WELL SIR!! YOUR PENSION WILL PROBABLY BE GONE IN A BLINK OF THE EYE SOONER THAN LATER!! EVERY COUNTRY IS MOVING TOWARDS THE ONE WORLD CURRENCY AND GOVERNMENT!! SO WHEN THAT HAPPENS ( SOME ARE SAYING SEPTEMBER ) ALL PENSIONS AND SOCIAL SECURITY'S AND GOVERNMENT PENSIONS, AND SO ON!! THESE WILL NOT EXIST ANY LONGER!! THERE WILL ALSO BE A DRASTIC RUN ON THE BANKS WHICH WILL CLOSE MOST OF THEM!!
    SORRY FOR THE BAD NEWS!! BUT THE ONLY HOPE YOU HAVE, MINE ALSO; IS JESUS COMING B/4 THAT HAPPENS!!

6. gord

gord DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor

businessman
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    I don't think it is an example of being on a pitty pot at all . It is a rational concern about a reality that is possible. I would not go as far to think that the UK will go "bankrupt" at a moments notice, but it realistic to expect that at some point in time pensions might be affected by financial realities of a country. I know that in Canada, the simple reality is that government pensions will have to be adjusted in some ways over the next decade or two or there just will not be enough to go around. Whether that change comes in the form of reduced benefits or a raising of the age of elegibiity is beyond me.

Myself, I will never get a pension that will be worth anything so I have to make money now and be smart in planning my own financial future.

One comment I do have to make though is that there is always ways to earn money. It does not matter whether we are 37 or 67. It may take some really imaginative thinking "out of the box", but the only one who stops us from doing that is ourselves. If we look at the negatives and say it can''t be done, it won't be done. We may not "want" to do it , usually because we have grown accustomed to having it pretty good and not "needing" to, but the cure for that thinking is just what you have experienced. A little fear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. yabs2

yabs2 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I think this is going to happen. The west is bankrupt. Move some money over to a phil bank account is my advice though its becoming a global problem.
    September looks to be the key .
    i read this blog
    Good post
    I have been thinking this fir years
    The west is bankrupt. Buy some gold maybe. September looks to be the key.
    I read this blog Blog | Armstrong Economics | Forecasting the World

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "On September 29, 1999, Armstrong was indicted by a federal grand jury for having conspired with employees of Republic New York involving Japanese investors. Republic New York pleaded guilty to fraud in federal court on December 17, 2001 and agreed upon a restitution order on January 9, 2002 of $606 million. Armstrong represented himself and was excluded from some proceedings, leading the Associated Press to question whether Armstrong could get a fair trial. The government charged Armstrong with civil contempt and he remained in prison over 7 years for failure to surrender various assets that may have been purchased with money from the investment fund at the center of the litigation. According to the New York Times, "Over the years, Judge Owen would revisit the contempt order every 18 months, guided by the federal statute. He repeatedly said that Mr. Armstrong was motivated by greed and was awaiting his release from jail to retrieve the $15 million that the government said was missing. According to lawyers who worked on the case in the early days, the financier’s headstrong manner irritated Judge Owen almost immediately. "On August 17, 2006, he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud, commodities fraud and wire fraud. He was sentenced on April 10, 2007, to five years in prison. Armstrong's daughter, Victoria, paid her father visits in prison most Wednesdays. He was released from prison on September 2, 2011."

Probably not the best guy to be getting financial advice from.

9. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    I wasn't referring to "getting a job"; but starting a business here instead. It can be done. I just found out today that one of our Filipino neighbors is selling peanut butter kisses inside Lee Plaza. - Don't know what her sales/month are, but it's just an example.

Or maybe something similar to one expat Aussie guy I know very casually was talking a few weeks ago about making p4000/day (gross?) from fried chicken carts which are for the most part unregulated per mayor's permits/DTI - if I understand him correctly. If I see him again I'll try and clarify.

10. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015