Dumaguete Info Search

A Nightmare ( or a Glimpse into the future of a possible reality)

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Jack Peterson, Jul 24, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Oh!you get the wrong Idea, I don't need to work, We have 3 very lucrative Businesses that my wife runs, obviously on my Money but very much a we thing. + her Employment.
    The whole point of the Thread was about if the West went Broke and Pensions dry up.
    Added to which is I may decide to sell my Bar in Spain and my Holdings in an Apartment block in Malta, next problem would be where to bank it as there would be no working ( trustworthy) Banks in the West. Whilst the whole thing was born out of a Hypothetical vision from a dream ( nightmare) it still begs the Question, "What if" I am a lucky one, are others?

JP :sneaky:

2. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    [​IMG]

Your OP said in part, " My nightmare was about Money well the total lack of it. Like many here my main Saving Pot has gone into the House and the other well is slowly but surely reducing through Education and other things, Visa's and such.

What would happen if it was all gone?"

Now you're independently wealthy...

3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Get a grip man, this is a dream that I wrote about.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You can do these things but people should understand the risk they are taking. They are working illegally and can be deported for working without the proper visa. Let a local get butthurt that you are taking sales from them and they will report you. (and they will get a reward from immigration for doing it). You simply cannot own a business (in it's entirety) as an expat. There are a few exceptions but most small businesses do not fall under that exception. Proceed with caution.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    How could the U.S. or U.K. go bankrupt when each of those nations denominates debt in a currency in which it fully controls? Only politics creates these possibilities (U.S. possibly defaulting when the federal government can't agree on raising the debt ceiling, for example.)

A bit of a sh*t storm here and there is a good thing. It's healthy for the economy to rise and fall. And chaos creates opportunity.

It's like plate tectonics on our planet. We fear the possibility of a big earthquake, yet earthquakes are an effect of a healthy system. What we should really fear is the possibility that earthquakes can't happen. But media lives off selling fear of earthquakes. You can't every fully protect yourself from the risk, but you can plan for the possibility. And most earthquakes won't affect us much anyways.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Damm Jack, I am getting a headache reading all this lol. Come on down and I will buy you a beer. We can solve all the problems in the world in a couple hours and things will fall back into place.. Gerry

• Like Like x 3