Dumaguete Info Search

A Quiet and peaceful retirement.

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Firefly44, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Hi. As the title says, has this been achieved ? Can this be possible in Duma? Outside of Duma ? In the Philippines ?
    I am sure it is not for all but can / has it been found. Some people may have peace and quiet with Roosters, kareoke and Two strokes :dnr:
    Take care all.

2. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You can try this place called Don Salvador Benedicto....the place havent been overly populated by expats surely lots are more affordable than the rest of Negros Island and experience the pine trees outside of Baguio with similar coldness of wind breeze and fog. ( just a suggestion)

photos at : Wall Photos | Facebook

3. OP
    OP
    Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Hi N27. Thanks but cannot view your facebook pic's as I dont do facebook. I am not looking for myself as I can find peace and quiet wherever I roam.
    Just wondering and enquireing if some expat expectations have been realised or in fact not realised as once expected.
    Take care.

4. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    BTW, that's not my facebook, just came to stumbled it while digging over the net looking for alternative places to settled down with. If you wanna know more about expat life in the Philippines. I think this person could help you, I think he's living in the PI for almost half of his life, hes name is Bob. I came to stumbled too on his page telling about expat life in PI.

MindanaoBob

5. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Firefly, to get the peace and quiet you're talking about, you have to get a ways outside the populated areas and put as much distance as possible between you and neighbors.
    It requires a bit of pioneering spirit, and you'll have to be self-sufficent in a lot of ways.

6. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Just go with the flow, have a laid back attitude, and the balls to bluff things out.

View attachment 8383

This fella is a great role model. :p

Attached Files:

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    FF44, the further away you go from a main hiway, the less infrastructure you will have. Electricity, water, decent road, and more farms around you. For example, a mile or two up the hill in Bacong you can buy a 1000 sq mtr or larger lot with a right away to it and be by yourself. But what could happen is someone may put pigs or cows on an adjacent lot sooner or later and you are stuck living with that. Hard to find a place where you don't here roosters sounding off. Maybe finding a remote spot near the water toward Santa Catalina might work. Have a look around, and good luck.

8. devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    How far from Dunaguete is this place?

9. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Very, it is a several hours drive north of Manila but it is also known as the PI's "little America."

10. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Baguio is north of manila in luzon province..."little baguio" officially called Don Salvador Benedicto of north/occidental Negros is 1 hour up and east of bacolod,so its about 8 hour drive or less from dumaguete, Ceres bus goes direct to there also,but with a transfer in bacolod or you could go the eastern San Carlos city route...San carlos route into mountain is a longer drive even though its closer to don salvador benedicto by map lines;its because the winding in the road amplifys the distance and slows down the drive if you want to survive..i lived there 7 or 8 months out of 2011,i left december 1st 2011...1 ceres fell off the mountain road,one cargo truck fell of the mountain road and another lost climb up the hill and rolled back into a tree which snapped into my power line which whipped onto my roof scareing the !@%$ outta me..these are just the events i saw and heard about during my 7 months there...There are lots of evergreen pine trees lineing the highway and it very small town with a new modern foriegner style subdivision just put in last year on a cliff side tract of hectares over looking the small river deep down below the cliff...for the most part it is quiet and cool and cheap but they still know how to conspire to charge the foriegner higher prices from the already cheap base up there..lots of chickens and animls from snakes to monkeys and bufalo,cows and many goats..there are outter regions of the towns there that are very remote where even in town every one has the bamboo grove in there yard and bamboo houses or at leasts some bamboo used on a concrete block structure....