Dumaguete Info Search

A Quiet and peaceful retirement.

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Firefly44, Apr 20, 2012.

1. devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    Thanks Tunji!!!!!

2. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    To Tunji,

Is Murcia, Negros Occidental do they have the same temperature with Don Salvador? I don't mind about the snakes its everywhere here in Negros. In Dgte living for a year and half we caught snakes in the yard like every 3-4 months. In Valencia got snakes too and was now discourage with the temp here, its not really cold. And electricity sub will end soon so I'm thinking of moving up ahead.

3. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Murcia is practically part of bacolod in the city sprawl sense..The buildings and traffic of bacolod are constant until you leave Murcia...Murcia is like a suburb to bacolod even though its its own city with its own mayor....It is hot there also but more trees there to find shade...you cannot make it to don salvador from bacolod without going through Murcia and murcia is only slight higher elevation than bacolod with no real temperature difference....After passing murcia,you head towards the junction between the 2 great mountains of negros...going strait at the junction takes you to mambucal on canlaon mountain which is the highest mountain with hot spring resort of real quality with big old growth trees and giant flying fox bats chattering by the thousands...Why Mambucal is so hot even at altitude is hard for me to understand,but its much hotter there than on donsalvadors mountain..but lots of old growth trees in mambucal area to get shade.....At the junction to mambucal,the other option is to turn and follow the sign to donsalvador...its at this junction that the real mountain altitude begins to rise and the road winds along cliffs in steep grade....Don salvador is the coolest temperature and ceres runs twice an hour from 6am to 6pm...i visited mount silay also but it is so rural with only overloaded jeepney (roof riding room only if any room at all)for most times,and the road at the top of mount silay land slide left only one lane remaining and its still used even though the cliff is now where the opposite lane used to be and its 30meters down or more....Go to mambucal and donsalvador if you do the trip and it will pass you through Murcia any way.....

4. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Don salvador has no much option in lodging but has a tourist center that sit idle so often,St theres is the resort right in town but is a day resort and no real hotel rooms other than bunk bed open dorms for when catholic schools book conventions there...I went to St. therese and asked about where to stay and they sent me to see a lady with a house behind st therese and she let me stay the night..i asked her later about renting and she was eager to move out and rent the fully well furnished house to me for 7000 a month plus utilities minus water bill...i bought sattelite dish and 2 fridges for them and lots of nice cook ware and hepa filter fan with spare filter from USA,a blender from USA,i left the volt converter also...So any one serious about staying there daily or monthly can ask at St. therese resort about Chitas house and tell them tunji sent you and if they think you my friend,they may feel to owe you a favor for me....chita was able to go to dubai and find work after earning good income from me to pay her application to there...her kids and husband and other family are holding the house down and it may be available... lots of brown outs and there is a water tank for when water is not flowing from tap,nice mountain water and simple farm town with simple locals...sending off to bacolod for gasul/propane,but i also bought spare tank for when the refill takes days to arrive....Mambucal exqusite swimming pools and hot springs 30 minute ride away by bus and about 80 to 100 piso entrance fee to gate and pool use...best mountain honey is there....Police officer born and raised there told me "there is no crime in don salvador" so i did my best not to make any crime there either..

5. racecar2000

racecar2000 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Keep all your possessions in the US and try visiting Dumaguete for 12 months before you move to the Philippines.,,,,,Don't fall in love with the first pretty girl you meet. You will be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try living here before you move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!//

6. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Puerto Princessa

I recently visited Puerto Princessa, Palawan, for a week. I was very surprised that there were hardly any roosters in the area and I don't remember even seeing an outdoor karaoke machine. It was cleaner than most other cities I have visited in this country and there were some very nice living areas on the outskirts of town, especially in the Baker's hill area. I was also surprised how few people actually lived outside of the city. Around Dumaguete, for example, there are little shanty villages everywhere. However, outside Puerto Princessa, seemed like just virgin forest, especially along the road to the underground river. It is a bit more expensive to live there though.