Dumaguete Info Search

A sobering assessment

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Dutchie, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    First spread I've seen posted. 17 deaths reported too.
    [​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If you add 1 and 1 together, then the sudden strong increase in Siaton seems to be due to hospital staff getting infected there.

3. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    How are hospital staff getting infected at this stage of the pandemic? Are they not using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE?) Are they eschewing vaccination?

4. OP
    OP
    Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I don't know. If I have to guess it would like be either lack of available PPE, or lack of instruction on how to safely use it, or under estimation of the contagion risk for the delta variant, or, most likely, a combination of all of these.
    This is the official statement:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    It looks pretty much across the board to me. Bindoy wins having infections go up 59 times though. :biggrin::doctor:

6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I suspect a failure to use 100% effectively PPE and other methods to prevent cross-infections are the cause of many new infections and this is partly due to fatigue (i.e. having to maintain certain standards for almost 2 years). There are so many small points where infection can be spread and not just person to person. Recently my wife's daughter came to stay with us as she was running a fever - she was put in a bedroom and only my wife attended to her. But it was not as easy as it seems to ensure nothing pathogenic ever came out of that room.

In the Virus Centre where I worked, all our clothing was removed and only a set provided was worn inside - on leaving we all had to shower before replacing our own clothing. All inanimate objects had to be put into a formaldehyde chamber and retrieved from outside. All other living things (animals used in experiments) never left the Centre but were incinerated.

Nothing remotely like that protocol is used in hospitals and would be very complex to install and use (I can imagine it would be used for diseases such as Ebola but the number of infected people would be very low). So cross infections from ill to healthy is certain to happen at times. Even with the best standards possible, there will be lapses due to fatigue of carrying out the protocols over such a long period (with perhaps a year or more to go?). This is no criticism of hospital staff - it is just too difficult to achieve perfection.

I always thought that advice given early in the pandemic to wash hands was useful - but imperfect. No one walking around a shopping centre is going to be washing their hands every few seconds (the time it would take to transfer the virus from one surface to another and with the virus remaining on the hands) and no-one in big households is going to avoid intra-family transmission by handwashing, even if every 5 minutes. This also applies in hospitals, even with the use of gloves.

So, cross-infection is happening in hospitals and will continue to happen and there is no easy way to stop it.

Btw, my wife's daughter was on the brink of exceeding 40oC body temperature and the point at which we would have referred her to a hospital - but, as I explained to her later, a hospital is about the worse place to be if you don't want to GET ill.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. OP
    OP
    Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    400 C doesn't sound good, you didn't put the poor girl in an incinerator did you? :smug:
    But yeah, whereas a baby / young child can handle 40 °C fever for a short while, for an adult that is definitely hospital territory.

8. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    On further consideration, it may be that they have tested positive without illness or symptoms. That would be nothing new or especially alarming for already-vaccinated individuals, especially for Sinovac.

9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    It was just under 40oC and one of those situations where you have to make a judgement - so I asked my wife to continuously monitor temperature whilst it was rising but also look at other signs, such as any delirium. I was concerned she would go into hospital with a non-specific fever and come out with Covid.

The fever abated quite soon (using paracetamol and lots of cold drinks) but fever is there for a purpose (to kill off the pathogens) and there was no point trying to reduce it too fast. It is just a case of observation and changing tack as required.

The patient is now fine, the carer did not get the disease and nor did Kildare.

• Like Like x 1
  10. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 333
    [​IMG]

STAY AT HOME , has the BI seen this ????