Dumaguete Info Search

ACR iCard ACR card vs valid passport

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by mokum, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Because, like many other countries, if you have a green card, or landed immigrant status, or 13a visa it means you are a resident of the country and thus are not required to maintain a valid passport, or at least that is how it worked in Canada when I moved there from England (I only mention that because you brought up the word 'logic' which so seldom applies here).

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    aha, I never heard that one before. So we are back to maybe it is not a problem after all. That would put me back to asking the BI what the rules were... which leads into the next issue of consistency of Philippine government agencies interpreting requirements (as in often there is none). And I would end up renewing my passport even if just as insurance against some possible rule interpretation change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Having gone to the Mayor of SIBULAN's wake Yesterday, I took the Liberty of asking the local ACO (Peter Bueno) this question( he was also there and I stole a few mins of his time) He told me it is imperative to have a valid Passport at all times as this is your Document of Travel, the ACR card is not a means of Travel (merely an ID with Status under the Alien Registration Programme) and the Documentation of your Status is on your Passport, Anyone who has a right to see your Passport will take the necessary action should it be Found that your passport has Expired while you are in the PI. He also told me that you will not get your yearly Report executed on an expired Passport, This will of course give you more problems, So for me, (& the BI) Don't take the Risk. He also mentioned that the renewal of the ACR card would/could may be in jeopardy if it is found the passport expired especially if it is 1 or 2 years.

Take this as you may but this comes from our Local BI /ACO who is a Lawyer

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Thanks a lot Jack , this answer will be conclusive for me since it's so to say out of the horse mouth. So , if there's no consular meeting before my passport expired I will/have to go to Manila. A lot of effort and expenses for a bloody passport! Since I arrived here in 1982 we had a consul in Cebu but now that they have to house, feed and give free medical health service to all this refugees and asylum seekers a consulate becomes to expensive notwithstanding that the amount of foreigners is maybe hundred time or more than in the eighties.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Jack just for future reference, is it possible to renew a British passport in the Philippines?

6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Yes but need to do an online application now an pay online then send all your papers via courier to Liverpool.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  8. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    30 years and no citizenship.. whats with that dude..

9. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Absolutely correct!

10. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    From another completely unrelated situation. An American is being deported in part because as a result of a warrant the State Department withdrew his passport. The Philippine government then connected the dots, no valid passport = undocumented foreigner (even though he was here on a valid passport on arrival) = automatic deportation.

This seems to answer the question. Since your foreign passport is the underlying document for the ACR card, and an invalid (revoked or expired) passport is considered as undocumented, and undocumented foreigners will be deported, it is very important to ensure you always have a valid passport. (a non-attorney opinion)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2