Dumaguete Info Search

Acronyms

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by NowandThen, Oct 12, 2023.

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hes nae an Englishman! but a Scotsman frae Aberdeen
    OK Mr CB, I stand corrected on this and perhaps when used as a descriptive word concerning anything from US it should be used with the Z and not the S.

2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Ask any Filipino where the English language originated and they will tell you it is from the US, I've even asked Schoolteachers there that question and the answer is always the same, I can only assume History is not a strong subject matter there and not nearly as important as Singing, Dancing and the clapping of hands, Incidentally I am aware there is a Germanic influence in English and many words used in the Scottish vernacular retain this German influence.

Even in the US some historical facts are left out in their Teachings with most of the population there not knowing that the original white settlers there were Ex-cons deported from England (this helps us to understand why American people even today are not so well adjusted with many having to undergo therapy at some stage in their lives?) it was only after the War of independence that the English had to use Australia for that purpose.

The outcome of that particular War may not have been favourable to the new America had it not been one man, John Paul Jones, known as the Father of the American Navy, he was never given this recognition in his lifetime and ended his life as a pauper somewhere in Europe I believe? JPJ was an honest Scotsman and never a convict, only he had to flee his country having been caught Sh@gging an Admirals Wife. Then there was another Scotsman who assisted in shaping the US, the founder of the American Steel Industry Andrew Carnegie and let us not forget John Muir known as the Father of the American national Parks.

Most people from US if asked if they could name anyone from Scotland that had a major influence in American History are unlikely to know any of the aforementioned three were Scottish and some would not even know who they were even when their names are mentioned?

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    NO - I've seen him and can confirm. Sorry Dave! :smile::smile::smile:

• Agree Agree x 1