Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: American expat looking to invest problems.

1. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I did this from here. The only thing I needed to do with all of these accounts was to just go online and update the address in my user profile. They usually need that proof of address just at the time that you initially create your account. Once you already have an active account you can change the address easily.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I gave up on equities trading a long time ago after losing a lot of money, and switched to options trading. I did a LOT of options trading while in the US. I've been here over 3 years now and still do a little. I use a virtual address (physicaladdress.com) for my mailing address for my bank, SS, and trading account. I use the ThinkOrSwim platform for trading. The only difficulty is the time difference. I used to watch my trades frequently during that day, and now that would require staying up all night. I've been trying to use a "set it and forget it" type of option trade that I've developed and so far (using simulated trading) it has been profitable.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Stock market investing is good for younger people but a big risk for we oldies. There is undoubtedly a big correction coming as stocks and shares have no reality when compared with the actual economic situation - a house of cards built on a foundation of debt fueled by money printing. Stock markets have always rebounded, but the past is no guide to the future! The next one is likely to be very big and take some time to recover (remember Japan).

Those who invested in recent times have mostly done very well but perhaps now is not the time for new older investors or for anyone who may need their money to live on.

My opinion is that the financial world is on a cliff-edge but who knows when it is going to fall off (I carried anti-virus masks for 10 years before I needed them!).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dadof3at1ce

dadof3at1ce DI Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +111 / 11
    I also use Schwab. I actually started with USAA but they were bought out by Schwab a couple years ago. Mine is strictly an IRA account, which does limit a bit on the stocks you can invest in, but like other have said the robot feature lets you pick the risk you want and go from there. I am moderately conservative and have been averaging 12-15% each year. My original stock was just in the 2030 retirement fund, but I started buying S&P500 index fund and it is tracking slightly higher, although it is also a bit riskier. Up about 2.5 just for January. I am happy with that. Plus they have very low fees if you watch what you are buying.

• Agree Agree x 2