Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Americans may need secure visa before entering the philippines

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It isn't really a comparison of visas or they would be questioning every country that doesn't allow Filipinos to just fly in all willy nilly visa free. They are butt hurt and their pride damaged. They are just lashing out like little children. This is just talk and grandstanding, they don't actually want to go head to head with the USG in an immigration standoff. Where would their politicians send their money and run too when they have finished sucking the lower class dry with their corruption?

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Ok, then allow foreigners to buy land in the Philippines in the same way that Filipinos are free to buy land in most foreign countries - that is reciprocity!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    I agree. Americans should give equal rights to Filipinos. And Filipinos should give equal rights to Americans. This includes green cards, the right to work, real estate ownership, SSI, Medicaid and in three years citizenship. Hell yes. Equal rights for all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    It's pretty clear the Philippines doesn't like foreign nations meddling in their sovereign affairs.
    Good for the Philippines

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I do not believe the USG cares one way or the other if the Philippines requires tourist visas prior to arrival. Most Americans do not care either, except for the relatively small number with Philippine spouses, or who like scuba diving and the like. Americans do not come here for opportunities to earn money; indeed I am sure they spend more than they earn. And, with the exception of balikbayan privilege which I assume would be revoked under this proposal, long term residents already require a visa; 13a, 13g, SRRV or SIRV or quota immigrant visa. Essentially it mostly affects tourists who come here for less than a month and boost the hospitality industry. I think the US should not be involved in Philippine affairs, however, I too believe in reciprocation IF that is what the Filipino people want. The only reason not to be reciprocal is that the country would make tourism easy for Americans as a source of fire exchange; but if the people consider pride to be more important than hard currency in USD, by all means they should enact the visa requirement. It would probably have a positive impact on long term residents by the likely effect of making the dollar more valuable given the reduction in supply. We Americans should stay out of Philippine internal affairs but some of our politicians cannot resist the temptation. But imposing a visa requirement will do nothing to change that behavior. Most Americans, liberal or conservative, simply don’t care because they are not impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    First time I've been called that.....lol. I always recommend against reading minds. I never said (or thought) any of that. I'm just looking at that averages, because as you say specifics will vary. I completely agree with your last statement, however if given then choice between $10 and $1000, I'll take the $100o as I'm sure you would too. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    "Chalk and cheese"

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Yes, a visa is a visa, what I'm referring involves a little deeper analysis into the why countries issue visas, which is what this is really about. According to the internet dictionary, a visa is "an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country". If a country has an issue with visitors not following the rules, for example, overstaying, the visa is a solution to help with that. You will find this a much larger problem in the US, then in the Philippines. You will find it challenging to argue that Americans want to sneak into the Philippines for greater opportunity. The opposite can not be said. The differences are so dramatic that if you aren't aware of them, there is probably no point in me going into them. By the way, this isn't just a US thing. It would make sense that the Philippines would want to apply this logic to any country that requires a Filipino to get a visa. The best way to solve this problem is to become a first world economy with lots of opportunity, not try to dissuade visitors (who spend money) from visiting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1